Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My monsters attacked the oreo cookies while I was outside this morning. 2 empty packages were found in the dog run. Maybe a package worth or a bit more could have been all that was eaten as both had been opened previously. We have 4 dogs and so don't know who got what. Our vet did not seem overly concerned- maninly to watch for vomiting/diarrhea/ or lethargy. The packages list chocolate as the last ingredient used as a flavoring. This makes me suspect there is not much actual chocolate in the cookies. Being a worrier by a nature I thought I would ask if this sounds appropiate or if there were other things to watch for- Sigh... never a dull moment with these guys.

T

·
0 Posts
I think your vet's advice was good, especially because of the ingredient list. Its not like they got concentrated baking chocolate or something. Since they probably "shared," I'd just keep an eye on them today like the vet said. Fingers crossed that nothing's really wrong.

Janet 'n Twink

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oliver once ate an entire "heart" at Valentine's. It accidently got left on a low table while my brother-in-law was dogsitting. Luckily it was a small heart only about 6 inches long. Luckily at the time in-law worked for a vet and was told the same thing, just to watch him. Oliver had an upset stomach but nothing that caused any concern and I think that only happened because he ate the box along with the chocolate. :D

(Brother-in-law did have one sleepless night)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Say it's not SO! Chocolate is the LAST ingredient? :)

[ September 18, 2005, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Scratch & Sniff ]

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sigh- I need to find a new spot for everything!! Jake is an "extended cab" and I can't put stuff out of his reach anywhere! Behind closed doors is no obstacle anymore... What happened to my sweet boy??

Needless to say, they seem fine. I've been cleaning up Oreo poo this morning... my husband says I picked the easy day as he had to clean up after the cantaloupe adventure :roll:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe is a hardened cookie-stealing thief, beyond rehabilitation. At Holiday baking time he uses many different methods to steal contraband cookies - begging will get him non-chocolate treats but snatch-and-run-like-he** and the ambush method are used to get the highly prized and forbidden chocolate chip cookies. He has managed to eat as many as six at a time (with little or no ill affects (his ambush method works well). His large size may a factor in his ability to eat small amounts of chocolate. Tally is one quarter Moe's size and we are much more vigilant about keeping her away from chocolate.

I've heard that the darker the chocolate the higher the risk. Quantity is a big factor (as in chocolate chip cookies with a few chips in them compared to a whole bar of pure chocolate, with unsweetened baking chocolate being the worst). Also the size of a dog must make a difference - a few chocolate chips may be harmful to a Dachshund but not to a Great Dane, perhaps. And, as with people, maybe there are some dogs that are more sensitive to it?

Terry

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome to my world!!!
Winston eats everything he can get his paws on!!He has eaten whole bowls of halloween candy in one gulp!!He still pushes a chair around to get on top of the counters so we attached a bell to his collar so we know where the monster is at all times!!He has eaten alot more chocolate than I think even a person could live through and i think he has just developed a high tolerance for it because you can't keep him away from it!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome to my world!!!
Winston eats everything he can get his paws on!!He has eaten whole bowls of halloween candy in one gulp!!He still pushes a chair around to get on top of the counters so we attached a bell to his collar so we know where the monster is at all times!!He has eaten alot more chocolate than I think even a person could live through and i think he has just developed a high tolerance for it because you can't keep him away from it!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! Winston does sound extremely versatile! My Jake has been an angel until this summer- He turned 18 months old and now can reach anywhere- I feel like I have a toddler loose in the house again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Quincy is the king of counter surfers...one time we went to the store and brought home a whole chicken already cooked. Set it on the counter and ran upstairs, came down about 10 mins. later and found the container on the floor clean as a whistle (that was all that was left). I was so afraid he had cooked his own goose but that was about a year or two ago and he's still going strong. Needless to say I've learned to be a lot more careful...how boring would life be without a basset?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts