Basset Hounds Forum banner

Chocolate....I'm worried

12179 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  marta5
Hello, It's been awhile since last I was here...I drive a truck now and only get home ever now and then..well I got home this evening to find that Presley had consumed an entire bag of easter chocolate..I really have no way of knowing just how much she ate...My son called me last night and said she was sick and had been shaking....well she shakes and twitches sometimes when she I told him its normal..he DID NOT tell me about the has now been 8 - 12 hours since she ate it... I noticed her shaking earlier today when I got home..but just found out about the candy..well my vet is closed right now...we have a 24 hour Emergency pet hospital here in town...and I have to go back out on the road in the morning..I dont know what I should do..she is here beside me asleep at the moment and seems ok... I am worried about here....will it pass? or get worse? seemed like last night was really hard on her as I am hearing about it now after the fact...any info would be great
1 - 1 of 8 Posts
I googled "chocolate toxicity in dogs" and this is one link I came up with(- there were alot more-)


"However the concentration of theobromine varies with the formulation of the chocolate so:

Milk chocolate has 44mg/oz (154mg/100gm):
toxic dose for 50 lb dog - 50 oz of milk chocolate.

Semisweet chocolate has 150 mg/oz (528mg/100gm):
toxic dose for 50 lb dog - 15 oz of semisweet chocolate

Baking chocolate 390mg/oz (1365 mg/100gm):
toxic dose for 50 lb dog - 5 oz of baking chocolate
Thus a dog eating one oz of baking chocolate would have to eat almost 3 oz of semisweet or 10 oz of milk chocolate to get the same dose of theobromine.
The theobromine in candies consisting of chocolate that is coated over some other substance - as in filled candies and chocolate coated dried fruits, etc. will be more dilute than that in pure chocolate bars and solid chocolate candies.

Obviously the chocolate in milk chocolate is quite dilute and this is why many dogs can eat a piece here and there and seem not to show toxic effects, how many dogs would get ahold of 50 oz at a time? This is not true of the more concentrated forms however. Dr Sue Bank's experience was that she had two dogs, a 95 pound one and a 60 pound one. They got ahold of 2 one pound bags of Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate pieces (a bag each). The 95 pound dog survived but the 60 pound dog ingested a toxic dose. "

Please let us know if she's OK-
See less See more
1 - 1 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.