Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, It's been awhile since last I was here...I drive a truck now and only get home ever now and then..well I got home this evening to find that Presley had consumed an entire bag of easter chocolate..I really have no way of knowing just how much she ate...My son called me last night and said she was sick and had been shaking....well she shakes and twitches sometimes when she dreams..so I told him its normal..he DID NOT tell me about the chocolate...it has now been 8 - 12 hours since she ate it... I noticed her shaking earlier today when I got home..but just found out about the candy..well my vet is closed right now...we have a 24 hour Emergency pet hospital here in town...and I have to go back out on the road in the morning..I dont know what I should do..she is here beside me asleep at the moment and seems ok... I am worried about here....will it pass? or get worse? seemed like last night was really hard on her as I am hearing about it now after the fact...any info would be great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Sadie ate a milk chocolate Santa one time. She showed no signs of anything wrong. I did call the vet & he said what she ate should not even make her sick. He said she would probably have to eat numerous chocolate bars to even get sick. The dark chocolate & baking chocolate are much worse than milk chocolate. I read on the internet that it would take a pound of milk chocolate to kill a 20 pound dog. I think while chocolate can make a dog sick, I think it takes more to kill a dog than many people realize. I hope Presley is ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
At the very least I would call the emergency vet and tell them what happened. They can maybe give you some advice or let you know if you should bring the dog in to see them. All dogs are different and what one dog could tolerate another may not. Please let us know how she is doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,558 Posts
I googled "chocolate toxicity in dogs" and this is one link I came up with(- there were alot more-)


http://www.grapevine.net/~wolf2dog/chocolate.htm

Quote:

"However the concentration of theobromine varies with the formulation of the chocolate so:


Milk chocolate has 44mg/oz (154mg/100gm):
toxic dose for 50 lb dog - 50 oz of milk chocolate.

Semisweet chocolate has 150 mg/oz (528mg/100gm):
toxic dose for 50 lb dog - 15 oz of semisweet chocolate

Baking chocolate 390mg/oz (1365 mg/100gm):
toxic dose for 50 lb dog - 5 oz of baking chocolate
Thus a dog eating one oz of baking chocolate would have to eat almost 3 oz of semisweet or 10 oz of milk chocolate to get the same dose of theobromine.
The theobromine in candies consisting of chocolate that is coated over some other substance - as in filled candies and chocolate coated dried fruits, etc. will be more dilute than that in pure chocolate bars and solid chocolate candies.

Obviously the chocolate in milk chocolate is quite dilute and this is why many dogs can eat a piece here and there and seem not to show toxic effects, how many dogs would get ahold of 50 oz at a time? This is not true of the more concentrated forms however. Dr Sue Bank's experience was that she had two dogs, a 95 pound one and a 60 pound one. They got ahold of 2 one pound bags of Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate pieces (a bag each). The 95 pound dog survived but the 60 pound dog ingested a toxic dose. "


Please let us know if she's OK-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
Cyberhound is not the place to come when you've got an emergency or a potential emergency. No one here is qualified to tell you what to do! That being said, I hope Presley is okay.
Everyone should have next to their telephone this number: Animal Poison Control Center As the premier animal poison control center in North America, the APCC is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, make the call that can make all the difference: (888) 426-4435. A $60 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.

Of course you should also have your vet's number and the nearest emergency clinic's number. Please call them and not ask Cyberhound members for an opinion if you're worried. Someone may not read your post until is too late or give misinformation.

Don't take this personally FatherProphet, every now and then it's good to remind everyone.

Let us know how Presley is doing. I know everyone will be anxious to hear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Presley is fine... I asked for help here because you own Basset Hounds...and my Vet was not in..and the All night Emergency Vet Hospital here in my town are awful, horrible people that really don't care much for the comfort of dogs...they are a last resort...
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top