Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chloe is here! Things have been going okay so far. Yesterday she did great. She whined a little but I was really patient and we took our time (entering building, elevator and going on walks). I put her in her crate at 10:30pm after a walk and she cried/barked for about 30 mins then slept through to 6am. I was so proud of her.

I do have a few questions and hope for some insight. :)

1. They say not to let them out of the crate until calm. Any suggestions on how to do this in the morning without piddling accidents?

2. Chloe had free reign of the backyard at the breeders but is now in an apt so she doesn't get to go potty whenever she wants. As a result, she seems to be having lots of accidents. I have been taking her out every two hours during the day (or sooner if whining) but the pee keeps a coming. LOL! Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I hope she will soon settle with you! :D How old is Chloe? Have you any pics?

Presume she's not a pup if you're taking her for walks!

I have never ever used a cage for my Bassets but someone will advise you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Presume she's not a pup if you're taking her for walks!

Chloe is 10.5 weeks old. She is a pup but her walks consist of the parking lot. I was told this is okay as long as it is not a frequented area. Was I told wrongly? If so, how do you deal with pottying if they aren't allowed for a walk?

I will add more pics later. I do have a photo album in the gallery section.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Welcome Chloe:D...
I have been told that Basset bladders do not mature till @ 6 months old. It is hard for them to hold it for long lengths but they do go more when playing and active so you can start watching her for these times. Best of luck with her and I am sure you will get LOTS of great advise...This is a great site with lots of wonderful people.

Congratulations and again, Welcome Chloe...

Woody's mom

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi Chloes Mom -- I too am from Northern Ontario and suspect that we are from the same place -- does a Big Nickel sound familiar. I am the Mom of a three year old Basset Girl by the name of Paisley. We have had dogs for most of our married life but Paisley is our first Basset. Paisley is the most wonderful canine furball that we have ever had and we take joy in her easy going lovable nature. Every day is a new adventure and she brings lots of laughter into our lives. She is up for what life brings her way and dosen't hesitate to try to participate in the business of the world around her. We live at the lake and swimming is just about the only thing she won't do but she does love boat rides with ears aflapping.
Welcome to being owned by the most loving and heart-strings-pulling of breeds -- you will enjoy her.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Welcome Chloe, Welcome Paisley!
Worm wants me to tell you that he'd love to see some pics when you get some, if you want to share :D pleeeaz...?

Paisley, what a wonderful life you have...! sounds fun, esp boating in the lake.

Chloe, we had the same issues as you, transitioning from free reign at breeder's to apt. So yes, of course we took him on short walks outside too for potty. I got him at 16 weeks, and even at that older age, every 2 hours was not enough when he was active indoors. i started getting frustrated because there'd be accidents, and then discovered i needed to take him out every hour :eek: but, good news is it gets better and better. now at 10 months, he can hold it for 6 hrs even, when he is awake indoors.

so, it does get better & better, but i'm guessing you prob need to take her out more often at this point, if she is anything like Worm.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
They say not to let them out of the crate until calm
That is because the are citing theory which does not translate to practice. Do what you have to do in the morning an at other time to prevent accident you have tine to work on the entering and exiting the crate calmly. you can practice this at time that there is less urgency and this will translate over time to when there is.

Chloe had free reign of the backyard at the breeders but is now in an apt so she doesn't get to go potty whenever she wants. As a result, she seems to be having lots of accidents
having free reign outside has nothing to do with it you would have the same problem if the dog was inside at the breeder.

read the following article a couple time you will find stuff you missed the first time

Housetraining Your Puppy

Do not rely on a puppy to tell you when it's time to go out. That is expecting too much responsibility and communication at too early an age. It is up to you, the adult human, to know when he needs to go out. Watch his activity level and the clock.
A 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners.
Basset are natoriously hard to house train. IMHO it is because the are slow to develop shipncter control compared to other breeds. I have never seen one truely housetrained (which is different than no accidents) at less than 6 months and 1 year is typical.

Your biggest asset in preventing accidents is a schedual a strict shedual on food, access to water, sleeping and play time. When the dog is on a schedual it is much more predictable when it needs to go.

on of the areas that housetraining breaks down the dog does not develop a reliable signal to let you know when it need to go out. This is not easy for the dog because we humans tend to be inconsitent in responding to such signals. Most find it easier and more reliable instead of hoping the dog finds a signal that works is to teach the dog a signal to use.
House Training: Ring My Bell!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The problem we are having is that our puppy is very shy. He won't go while someone is watching him, so that makes going on the leash kind of hard. I'm just glad we have impervious floors, and lots of old towels.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks for the Welcomes

Hi Paisley here, thanks for the welcomes. I thought I should fill you in on a little about me and my family. We live in Northern Ontario in the city of Sudbury . I will ask mom to get my human sister to post a picture of me but please don't tell her i called her my sister. I live with my recently retired Mom and Dad -- I'm so glad about that since it means I get a lot of attention and belly rubs and get to do a lot of stuff that I didn't get to do when they worked. I have an 11 month old Siamese brother named Cairo who thinks he is a basset hound (he sniffs people when greeting but I call him my Siamese Retriever since he fetches balls and all sorts of stuff). We also share our house with Daisy the ferret whom Mom found on the road one day on the way to work and rescued from some mean nasty ravens.
Yeah Worm I have a very good life. I love those boat rides and walks in the woods BUT the lake is frozen over for 6 months of the year and you don't know what its like to walk around in 2 feet of snow with only six inch legs. BRRRR!!!:eek: But now that Dads home he puts a fire on in the fireplace and I get to toast my belly on those kinds of days:D Thats enough about me for now -- Moms is going to start making Sunday dinner and that means I have to SUPERVISE! Talk to ya later your new Canadian Pal Paisley

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got him at 16 weeks, and even at that older age, every 2 hours was not enough when he was active indoors. i started getting frustrated because there'd be accidents, and then discovered i needed to take him out every hour :eek: but, good news is it gets better and better.
Thanks so much for the info. After reading this I decided to take Chloe out every hour ( or 1 1/2hrs if resting). And guess what? No accidents since. Yay!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Chloes Mom -- I too am from Northern Ontario and suspect that we are from the same place -- does a Big Nickel sound familiar.
The big nickel sounds very familiar. I was born and raised in Sudbury but am actually in Elliot Lake now.

It's so great to meet someone close to home. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
The big nickel sounds very familiar. I was born and raised in Sudbury but am actually in Elliot Lake now.

It's so great to meet someone close to home. :)
Pround Mama of Chloe -- Elliot Lake!!!! I know that place!!! Hubby is a Shriner and we will be there for a parade on July 2nd. Just watch for a Black , White with a Tad of Brown Basset Princess and we will be there!!!!
Ya can't miss us -- Dad is in the band and wears gold curly toed shoes and dresses like every other member!!! they all look the same !!! sometimes even I cannot tell them apart!!! But just ask -- I am Sandy and they all know Paisley. Hope to meet you there!!!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks so much for the info. After reading this I decided to take Chloe out every hour ( or 1 1/2hrs if resting). And guess what? No accidents since. Yay!
Yay for no accidents! We finally got a handle on Virga's accidents when we put a bell on her collar. We'd miss her hints that she had to go so it helped know when she was on the move. And Chloe is adorable!

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
The problem we are having is that our puppy is very shy. He won't go while someone is watching him
If the person watching him is patient enough the dog has no choice to go If you avoid the problem it willl get worse over time not better. It means dedicating the time to do it. those time that is not possible the following tip is very usefull
Potty Training Tip Requres an x-pen which run slightly more than a wire crate.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
the end of today will be my two week mark without a single accident in the house.
he-human said he'd get me a big treat of some kind if i made it. I like the idea of the treat but the stubborn in me wants to take a big dump on the floor just so they don't get all big headed about having "trained" me... heh

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used a combination of feeding and watering schedule, crate and tether to train my dogs.

If doggy isn't in the crate he/she is tethered to me via leash until potty trained. No opportunity for accidents. I would feed the leash through my belt loop, attach it to puppy and that made supervising puppy so much easier. If I had to move around a lot for chores or was distracted i would crate.

I fed and watered once in the morning and again in the evening. We went potty about 15-20 minutes after eating and drinking and then every half hour or so until puppy potties. Then we made it a big deal! Woohoo, you pottied on the grass! Gooood doggie! Have a treat and some love. Since we made potty a happy thing, none of the dogs is shy about going in front of us and.or when on leash. When the pups were in the act of going potty we would also say "Go potty! Gooood potty!" and the dogs learned to go when we said "go potty". Teaching a potty command really helpful when its cold or rainy or snowy out.

We also took the pups out to potty about 10-15 minutes after play, right after they woke from naps, whenever one of us had to go, when we saw circling and whining and when puppy would obviously try to get attention. I don't know if the attention seeking was to tell us it was time to go outside, but after a while of us assuming it was needing to go potty the dogs learned to tell us.

For the first couple months you will be insane with how often you have to go outside, but it does get better.

Be happy its spring! When I was training my oldest dog is was dead winter with biting winds and snow on the ground. Plus, he doesn't like snow so I had to shovel a path to his spot and clear the spot itself or he wouldn't go. Its real fun to have a pup doing the pee-pee dance while you quickly shovel last nights surprise snow at 6am, in the dark, in slippers, pajamas and a robe, let me tell ya! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts