Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,681 Posts
Ruby used to chew on twigs when she was a puppy when we lived in Bassetchusetts. We teased and said she was part termite.

The vet then said to NEVER have sticks or twigs around; clean them up! They can perforate the throat and mouth as most dogs don't completely chew what goes in.

Janice and Ruby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
I don't know if it's OK, but I have little choice. I have 18 elm trees that loose branches any time there is a breeze. They range from little twigs to 3" thick branches. It doesn't matter what the size is, they get chewed on and sometimes end up in the house.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
I suppose that is never okay, but dogs will be dogs, just be careful. A while back Lily got one embedded in the roof of her mouth and we ended up at the emergency vet for a very expensive bill...all for a silly stick.

~Heather
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
My previous Basset, Otis, had a punctured esophagus from a stick, he nearly died from it. After a fortune in vets bills, he survived, so we try to keep our yard picked clean.
Sally and Shermie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Oh my goodness I feel like we are doomed we have a desert yard full of rocks and dirt and we have the occasional small stick that gets blown in and our puppy readily eats sticks and rocks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
I also have several big trees in my backyard, sticks and twigs are unavoidable. I suppose each dog is different, my two hounds have never shown any interest in sticks. They eat (and throw up) grass very often, but thats it.
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
those hug branchs was funny. We are like one of the above posters. A Lot of trees. We live in a sub-division and have cyclone fencing. Tummy is almost 6 yrs. old. He gets a good quality fod. Let him outside and he goes right to dirt and twigs every thing. We found a basket mask. It is All holes (sort of like a hocky players) He can drink water. Tummy is indoor dog. If it is really hot- I let him out with it in for aBOUT 5 MIN.S to go potty :p :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
I don't let mine chew sticks. My neighbor's dog had a throat puncture that nearly killed him. As she said at the time, it was a good thing they had a college fund for the kids -- that was the only way they could have afforded the surgery and the three-week daily trips to Tufts for dressing changes.

I'd just as soon avoid this.......
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top