Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our 5 month old basset out all last weekend, in the yard, at the dog park, and walks because it was so beautiful outside. On Monday, I noticed one of his eyes was really red. He has really really droopy eyes, but his one eye was exceptionally red and had discharge coming out of it, like eye goop. I took him to the vet on Tuesday and he said he thought it may just be allergies due to being outside all weekend. He gave us some topical cream stuff to put on it. By tuesday night it was worse, almost swollen looking. I called the vet back and now he's saying it could be cherry eye and that he would have to cut it off. From what I've been reading about cherry eye, it usually looks like it's in the corner of a dog's eye, but this swollen red is the whole bottom of his eye, not just in a corner. The red part looks puffy and raised, but not like a lump like cherry eye looks in pictures. I just don't want to put the dog through a costly procedure if that's not what it really is. Any advice, please let me know!!!

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
. I called the vet back and now he's saying it could be cherry eye and that he would have to cut it off.
cherry eye is the prolaps of the tear duct in the corner of the eye removal is not the general course of action because this only creates other problems down the road. The skill of the surgion dictates the result many time the tack does not hold and need to be redone when done by those less skilled in the procedure.

Rather than cherry eye is could be "Pink eye" conjuctivitis which is usual treated by antibiotic and anti-imflamatories like steriods.

Conjunctivitis in Dogs
The classic signs of conjunctivitis are a red eye with a discharge

...When the discharge involves both eyes, suspect an allergy

Mild cases of follicular conjunctivitis respond to antibiotic and corticosteroid eye ointments prescribed by your veterinarian. In resistant cases, the follicles may need to be destroyed by chemical cauterization.
Purulent conjunctivitis requires veterinary examination and treatment. It is important to remove mucus and pus from the eyes, as well as pus and crusts that adhere to the eyelids.
sound like a bit of confusion over terminology give your discription it matches Pink eye not cherry eye

·
Registered
471 Posts
My Cocker had Cherry eye when I adopted him. In fact its the reason some a$$ hole turned him into Animal control. If your guy has one and its confirmed, it is a simple procedure, whereby they put them under and stitch the cherry eye the no longer should remove the tear duct as that causes bigger issues. It cost a couple hundred bucks, he was up and running the following day, he had a Ecollar for a week, but it was worth it. You would never tell he had one a year later. No goo, no conmstant drops, no irritation.

I wold have your vet confirm what it is ad if they want to remove the duct get a second opinion with a vet who is wise of the stitch method.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Do you have a picture? Your description does not sound like cherry eye.

You might want to get a second opinion. Although I am not a vet, it sounds to me more like irritation or infection and I would be looking at antibiotic drops or ointment and maybe an anti-inflammatory.

·
Registered
878 Posts
One of my Bassets had a cherry eye op when she was just over a year old and yours doesn't sound the same as my girl, who had a raised pink 'lump' in the corner of her eye, at a slight angle and since the op has not had a problem until fairly recently, when I have noticed her eye waters a bit, or rather the fur to one side often looks a bit wet and having already paid over £180 in drops, cream and Metacam for this, with little or no difference (my vet sends everyone out with Metacam and charges over £25 for the tiniest bottle) It probably adds to their profits as I can't see it being relevant to a watery eye!!!!

Have you got a picture of the eye? I'll try to find one of mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I contacted another vet and he prescribed a different antibiotic ointment that also has a steroid anti-inflammatory in it. The eye doesn't seem to be bothering bo at all and if we wait until he's asleep to put the medicine in, he doesn't even know we are doing it. I still don't feel like it's a true cherry eye and after reading others descriptions, I feel it's just an inflammation. Some days it looks better, then the next day it's back to being inflamed. The vet that is going to neuter him is the one that is giving us the new medicine and he said worst case is if it doesn't work, he can take care of it at the same time he is getting neutered. I'm dreading that day. My other basset, his brother bernie hasn't dropped his other testicle yet, so they are both going in the same day and I'm just as worried about bernie and the procedure to go in and "find" it. I just keep praying that by May 11, the testicle will drop and bo's eye will be back to normal. If I can get a picture of him (which he hates) I'll post it so my description will make sense of what i'm seeing.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Just had a quick google and found this picture of a cherry eye (not a Basset) but you can see what it's like.

I hope all goes well for you as it's such a worry when our dogs have a problem!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Mabrooks, it looks like cherry eye to me and is very like my Lottie's cherry eye which wasn't as 'bulbous' looking as some pics I have seen on google. Some eyes seem much worse than others and yours and mine didn't look too bad and at the time, a friend had said to me that an op is more 'cosmetic' than absolutely necessary but we had her operated on and other than a watery eye at times, has had no other problems.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My first basset Sweet Pea had cherry eye and I had a vet do the operation, later on she got dry eye and I always wondered if it was because of the operation. I think now after what Mikey has said that it was, I don't think that the vet that did it was the best dog vet.

I wish there had been a board like this so I could have maybe made a better decision on who to have done it. Sorry don't mean to scare you and I hope his eye goes down by May 11 also.

He is a cute fella by the way. We probably need some more pictures of both your boys.

Good luck to them on the DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I'm hoping when we get the new medication with the steroid in it possibly it will be the help he needs. I need to get some more pics up as they are growing by the second.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It looks like a cherry eye to me.I had one a awhile back that had a cherry eye.Do the least invasive thing for now but it could need to be removed

·
Registered
790 Posts
Can't comment on the eye condition but thought I'd tell you that Monty was recently neutered and he was a one balled wonder too. We waited until he was a year old so that he had a chance to develop and maybe to let it drop. I was so worried about the vet going in to hunt for the missing testicle, it sounded horrendous. Sometimes they are easy to find so the op isn't too big but his was hiding way up in his abdomen. He came home with three wounds - 1 in the usual place for the dropped ball, 1 in his groin and then a large one in his abdomen which went down his man bits. I'm not going to lie, it wasn't pretty and I was horrified when he came out with the shaven belly & bits but he recovered really quickly. His stitches came out 10 days later and he was fine, running around after Olly every chance he got. Just remember that leaving it in there is far worse than a bit of embarrassing stubble! Fingers crossed it drops :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a nervous wreck about, well, everything when it comes to the puppies. Thanks so much for all the input. The steroid has already made a bit of difference in the inflammation of the eye. I know my bernie, my one ball wonder, will probably be happy when this is over considering he is getting annoyed with me always "checking". Praying for a quick and easy find and to just have it all over with and them home and healthy. I never thought I would fall so in love with these boys.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Anyone with a one baller will know every lump and bump on the one ball. I was always checking to see if there was any changes - I'm sure it would look more than a bit odd to an outsider looking in!

I know what you mean about falling in love with them - I'm hook line and sinker, more so than I ever have been before. I think that Basset odour people talk about must be Love Potion number 5

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on the cherry eye/neutering

:)So the boys both had their surgery last Friday and got to come home that same day. It was pretty funny watching them stumble around all drunk on anesthesia. It was cherry eye and they took care of it at the same time as the neutering. Bo was back to his normal psycho self within 24 hours. Bernie who had the undescended testicle has taken a little longer to recover, but overall it's been alot easier for them than I anticipated.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I know what you mean about falling in love with them - I'm hook line and sinker, more so than I ever have been before. I think that Basset odour people talk about must be Love Potion number 5
how could anyone NOT fall in love with the way we smell...!

glad to hear the 2 boyz are doing well after their operations...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts