Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is cheese toxic to dogs or can they have a little bit? Sorry for all the food questions, I really am new to this puppy lark :}

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Cheese is fine. It won't hurt them per se, but of course only as a treat. Don't want them to get too pudgy ;)

Molly has her morning meds wrapped in a bit of cheese. Winston gets some just for so.

·
Registered
972 Posts
some of them can be lactose intolerant like humans, but most of the time cheese is a good treat. How old is your pup? I would mainly stick with a good puppy food for now, with just a little treat every now and then or when training : )
Good brands i find very healthy:
Nature's Basic
Simply Nourish
Blue Buffalo
California Natural
Holistic Select

: )

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi my puppy is 14 weeks old.

Thanks for advice, although I'm not aware of any of the brands you mentioned. I live in Oz, so not sure that they sell them here.

·
Registered
972 Posts
they may not!!

Just look for things that say all of the following:

No wheat
No corn
No glueton
No bi-products

Whatever you can find that does not have those ingredients, you will be finding a great food for your pet! Puppies also need specifically puppy food, since that has more protein and more calcium for them : )

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
No wheat
No corn
No glueton
No bi-products
Glueten is simply plant protein nothing inhearently bad about its inclusion in dog food however meat based proteins are general though more digestable.

no grains ie rice corn and wheat makes absolutely no senses unless the dog has a particular allergy which are relatively rare. All kibble requires a starch source to retain it shape most manufactures use grain. some other for marketing reasion choose another stearch source like potaoes or tapioca. the problem is those alternative steach sources are actual less nutrishious than the grains they replace. the grains are bad is marketing hyp not based in nutritional science

Corn and Soy

Soy Myth

What Are The Most Healthy Grains, Legumes And Starches?

Are By-Products Bad?
Feeding just muscle meats to pets is a serious error since no carnivore in the wild eats such a diet. If they did, they would become diseased from doing so. (Wysong Call of the Wild™ is a supplement designed to balance a fresh meat diet, and provide those vital food elements lacking in a strictly fresh meat diet.) In fact, carnivores often prefer the non-muscle meat parts of their prey that are labeled "by-products." Critics of by-products evidently feel food animals have no inherent merit and that they should be raised, slaughtered, and then everything but their "prime meat" should go to a landfill.

·
Registered
972 Posts
>>>no grains ie rice corn and wheat makes absolutely no senses unless the dog has a particular allergy which are relatively rare. All kibble requires a starch

true! I didn't say no rice : )
Potatoes are okay too.
I find that every dog i know of has done exceedingly better without gluten. Maybe they digest it fine, however i do find they have less GAS without it!!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Chicken, beef, corn, and wheat are the most common dog allergies. That's one reason why the healthier foods tend to leave corn and wheat out, and the basic ingredient foods leave all 4 out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts