Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Charlie and Brandy in for their shots. Charlie needed his rabies shot and I had requested the vet to see him because of his lymphoma. She did another needle aspirations 3 slides. He is holding his own.
Mean time my son had Brandy and Buttons (cat) in another room doing shots and Brandy needed a heartworm test. She came back positive for Lyme disease. So they drew blood to send out. NO No it just can't be happening. Every time I have been to the vets it has been bad news. Gizzy (cat) diabetic, Charlie lymphoma, and now this.
Has anyone else dealt with Lyme disease
Steph

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I haven't dealt with lyme disease in a dog but my docs thought I had it when we lived in Bassetchusetts! I had to have it cultured and take doxycycline for a very long time.

I wonder if there's a doggy version of doxycycline?

Hope good news comes soon.

Janice, aka Rubydoo

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
They started Brandy on the doxycycline 3 pills once a day. We still have to wait for the snap test or whatever to come back but the vet wanted to start treating immediately. As it can cause Kidney failure, so we started her when we got home.
I am totally stressed now. I know Charlie probably only has a few more weeks I don't know why I bothered with the needle biopsies. His breathing is getting more labored and now Brandy. The vet made it sound like she would always have it that there isn't a cure. So if I am understanding it can just reacure (sp). The other thing was she might only have been exposed to it. Which the test we are having done is suppose to confirm this.
Stephanie

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Sorry your pets are having so many issues. With us, it seems like we go months without a vet visit, and then we're in the vets' office 2-3 times a week, with one dog or another, for months. :blink:

Here's a pretty good discussion of Lyme Disease.

A Lyme Disease Primer, Mar Vista Animal Medical Center

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Geez, I"m sorry. How hard! That's a load to deal with. I don't know anything about Lyme disease, but I'll bet Betsy's link was useful.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I woke up a few days before Christmas in 2004 with a bullseye rash on my upper torso. It was a warm December here and I had been taking Murray out to the State Game Lands that whole month without being as careful as I should have, mistakenly thinking the ticks would be gone by then. We both tested positive, and we were both on Doxycycline for 3 weeks.

Lyme is an epidemic here in Southcentral Pennsylvania. I PERSONALLY know 12 people who have had it. I don't take Murray out on the Game Lands like I used to- I stay away from brush, avoid the fields for the most part, and try to pick trails that aren't overgrown. I rubberband my pants over my boots, wear long sleeves and hats, and spray my clothing with insect repellant (DEET), which I hate. Life has changed.

Many people who are infected with Lyme don't know it because they don't get a rash- I was lucky.

In humans it is a horrible long term disease that can cause crippling arthritis, neurological problems, and heart issues. If you live in a Lyme area, please be careful out there.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe tested positive for exposure to Lyme disease several years ago when I took him in for his yearly physical. He had been showing no symptoms so we caught it before it affected his health. He was treated with antibiotics for a short time (I don't remember which or for how long) and he was vaccinated shortly thereafter. Now the Lyme vaccination is a part of his regular health maintenence.

I wouldn't worry about the Lyme disease since you've begun treatment already. It sounds like you have more serious issues to worry about. I'm sorry that you and Charlie are going through this now. As Moe ages it tears at my heart to see others losing a dog they love. I know the day will come when I will be greiving, too. We will ALL lose our loved and faithful companions someday - it's very sad that they can't live as long as we'd like them to. Just remember this: It's the quality of the life that our dogs have lived with us that matter most. Charlie sounds like a well-loved dog. I'm sure his time spent with you, no matter long it lasts, is happy time to him. Love him and then love him some more...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Oh, Stephanie! You must be going through hell. I can't offer any advice but I just want to wish you well and hope that Charlie isn't having too hard a time.

B

·
0 Posts
:blink: Lots of drool from Tummy. Boy when troubles rain it pours them. Take care.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An Update on Charlie and Brandys visit last week. Test results came back in and Brandy does have Lyme disease and we will continue antibiotics for her for 4 more weeks.
Good news Charlies 3 slides came No Cancer in his lymphnode,(not inconclusive this time) but there is something else causing his problems so we are testing him for different types of lyme disease, and he is on an antibiotic for his skin. I am going to be gone tomorrow until next Monday, so he will go in on Wed and have bloodwork. We will probably take him in for lung x ray. She said his lungs were harsh. But sense she no longer thinks its lymphoma we are looking for other problems. I didn't believe the lymphoma diagnosis last May but as time has gone on and his breathing worsened I figured it had spread to his lungs. And it could be he has lung cancer. But sense Brandy has tick disease this is the first thing she wants to look at. So I am hopeful, and Charlie was playing with Brandy today barking and running. He has been on the antibiotics almost a week now for his skin. So I am hoping this is a good sign. I have heard from others the Lyme disease is manageable, but of course if this is Charlies problem he has had it all summer with no treatment. It is frustrating, but I do feel better about it now at least we are looking into it.
thanks everyone for listening and your support.
Stephanie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts