Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stanley just turned 1 so we've started making the switch from his puppy food (Solid Gold Wolfcub) to an adult formula. We chose Timberwolf's Elk and Salmon formula. I went on the company's website to read a little more about them and I realized that their version of the ingredients is MUCH different than what my bag says. The first few ingredients are similar, but then things change drastically. I also read on a few other websites/forums that recently people's dogs had started rejecting the food. I'm wondering if anyone feeds this brand or if they've heard of this change. I'm thinking of suspending the change for Stanley until I find out more. I'm waiting to hear back from the company, which I've now also heard is extremely difficult to deal with. Oh well...this outlines the discrepancies on the main ingredients:

My bag:----------------------Their website:
Fresh Elk--------------------- Elk
Salmon meal---------------- Salmon Meal
Millet------------------------- Ground millet
Sweet Potatoes------------- Ground brown rice
Oats---------------------------Oat groats
Flaxseed----------------------Chicken fat
Carrots------------------------Sweet potatoes
Watercress-------------------Salmon oil
Spinach-----------------------Natural flavors
Celery------------------------Dried apples
Parsley-----------------------Dried blueberries
Fennel Seed------------------Dried cranberries
Wild Salmon Oil--------------Dried figs

Does this seem fishy to anyone else? Should I be wary? Man, I hate switching foods...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I emailed them to ask about the discrepancies between ingredient lists and got this reply:

"Thank you for contacting us. The ingredient list on our website is the correct one, however the food in the bag that you purchased is the same as the list on our website. Due to an error in the last printing a few ingredients were left off of the bag. If you have any other questions feel free to email or give us a call. Thank you for choosing Timberwolf Organics."

Hmm, didn't really address the issue. A few ingredients were not "left off of the bag"... the ingredients changed altogether. I don't think the change in ingredients will affect Stanley since this is the first bag we've purchased, but I'm more concerned about quality control issue. Does this raise any red flags for anyone else?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I think that's strange- and because Murray is allergic to chicken, if I had purchased that food according to the bag ingredients (no chicken listed), he might have had an allergic reaction due to the chicken fat which is actually in the food. To me that's a big problem-

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That sounds like a big problem to me too. Now I am wondering about the food I feed my dogs. I would e-mail them again and dive a little deeper.

~Heather

·
Registered
775 Posts
Wow, that does seem deceptive to me. I agree that the bag lists different ingredients. Not that they are necessarily bad but not what you thought. I don't like their reponse to you either. I always check with the Vet when I do a food switch and try to get some feedback based on other clients experiences. Also, I look at my dogs stool. If they are not scratching and seem to have a nice coat (not dry) and poop is nice then I'm okay with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read a bunch of stuff now about how this company has terrible customer service and I feel a little suckered. There are plenty of gripes on the internet similar to mine, even people whose dogs have eaten Timberwolf for years and all of the sudden won't touch the stuff because the formula changed. I just don't get why they aren't being more clear or releasing a statement on their website. The stuff runs about $60 for a 33-lb. bag, so I'm definitely not feeding it for the affordability. I've only purchased the small bag and I'm only in day 2 of the switch, but at this point I'm more concerned about the company's attitude and integrity than with the actual product in the bag. I know lots of you feed Innova or Evo and I read absolutely nothing but great things about the company that produces those foods. I might just back away from Timberwolf and give Innova a try even though I'm a fan of the more exotic forms of protein.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Dog food manufacture actual have 6 months grace period from when they change the formula to when it changes on the bag. sothing that would never be allowed in the human market place.

Secondly most super premium brands are not really dog food manufactures but rather dog food marketing firms as they have no manufacturing capability. It is very difficult to find out where the food is manufacture and what if any are the real quality control standards, and even when you do it can all change tomorrow because someone elses bid to manufacture it is a 1/2 cent a lb cheaper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dog food manufacture actual have 6 months grace period from when they change the formula to when it changes on the bag. sothing that would never be allowed in the human market place.
Secondly most super premium brands are not really dog food manufactures but rather dog food marketing firms as they have no manufacturing capability. It is very difficult to find out where the food is manufacture and what if any are the real quality control standards, and even when you do it can all change tomorrow because someone elses bid to manufacture it is a 1/2 cent a lb cheaper.[/b]
It sure seems that way, which is why I'm most concerned about how the company holds itself accountable. I understand now that the brand name Timberwolf is most likely a marketing arm of some faceless manufacturing facility. Obviously, paying $60 a bag for a flashy logo is nonsense. Mike, or anyone else for that matter, is there a company that we know has a good reputation and will stand behind its product? All I'm looking for is peace of mind, something I'm not getting with Timberwolf. Is Natura any better?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Stan see my above post! they have a wide range of food to fit everyones budget.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did see your post, thanks very much for the information. Unfortunately the nearest location that sells Black Gold is pretty far away. The idea of doing business with a smaller company does appeal to me, but for now I'm going to try Innova. BTW, my dog is Stan, not me ;)

·
Registered
939 Posts
well until i know your name just so you know i drive 60 miles one way to buy this food,but i also buy about 10 bags at a clip,going through about a ton of it a year,is it worth it? to me it is i have active field dogs and this is the only food that i have found that keeps them looking good and not run down from all the training and trialing i do, and it only costs me with fuel costs and all about 20 bucks for a 50 pound bag.cheap price for a great food.if you ever get a chance to try it pick up about a 3 month supply and give it a go you may be driving around to get it like i do. Billy Milko Pinehawk Kennels

1 - 12 of 12 Posts