Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently away from Bogie at a conference, and have been since Sunday. Usually when I start packing up bags, Bogie gets very excited because (i think) he thinks he is going (most of the time). Well, this time he didn't do that. He's been a finnicky eater since I started packing to leave for the conference, and now that I'm away, my boyfriend has said he hasn't eaten breakfast any of the days I've been gone, and he has had some real trouble feeding him. I feed Bogie the Purina Pro Plan Select Lamb and Oat dry formula, with a little bit of wet food mixed in and some water. I also have a bag of Harmony Chicken and Brown rice formula that bogie thinks are treats, so I've been telling my boyfriend to mix that in, or give him that plain.

On the other hand, I had just bought a new bag of the Pro Plan Select food, and the finnicky eating started around the same time.

So I was wondering if anyone elses basset goes into meal withdrawal when you have left them alone, or if you all think its more likely the bag of food.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
It may be both, dogs do pick up on things - mine always seem a littl subdued when the suitcases appear.

I would think it may be the food - he just maybe isn't so keen. Daisy will eat most things (even things she isn't supposed to ;) ) but she doesn't like Pedigree Complete Dry Food and will eat some as if to satisfy her hunger, but will leave most of it.

Neither of my dogs have stopped eating - Daisy got distressed on Monday when we took Harvey to the Vet's (long story, but we thought she would be less stressed at home than going to the Vet's which she hates..anyway...) but she still managed to eat her dog chew and several treat left scattered around!.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Is Bogie eating treats? Is he acting normal otherwise? How's his temperature? When Edith went to the Nationals without me, she stopped eating, but she hasn't missed a meal since coming home. But I know her temp. was checked daily, and biscuits were offered, and eaten, and she still played with Eloise. She just missed her mama and lost her appetite, but you want to rule out other 'stuff', too......

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I find my bassets are very sensitive to changes in their environmnet - including my being away when I should be home. Unless there are other problems, I'll be he starts eating when you return. A healthy dog will not starve itself to death.

Just bring him some presents, give him lots of kissed & belly rubs and be prepared to suffer for your desertion.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My boyfriend ended up switching him to the Harmony Farms food before I came back, and with a little conniving got Bogie to eat it. I came back this afternoon and just gave him his dinner, half the harmony farms, half pro plan selects, some chicken, and a bit of water, and he gobbled it right down. So hopefully he just missed all the scratching and cuddling while I was gone.

Thanks for your help! It definitely helped relieve the worry while I was away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts