Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Porter picks up A LOT of dirt everytime we go outside due to his 3 inch legs. Its usually not bad since I just wipe him down with a towel after we get home if its wet out. One thing I have noticed is that his armpits are often damp and it gets very dirty and smelly. It would even have some chafing marks once in a while, I assumed this is due to being wet skin rubbing together. He isn't a fat basset, full grown male at 51 pounds. Its just all his lose skin, its very hard to air everything out. hahahah

Is there something I can do to prevent the damp armpits? I can't imagine it being comfortable since the skin around there chaf. I have being using baby power to help to keep the area dry. This really helps with the smell. Yeasty pits?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am so glad someone asked about this because it seems to be a problem that Charlotte suffers from too. Her front underarms (armpits? lol) are chaffed looking and sometimes a bit pinkish. We had assumed that her harness was bothering her so have been using it only when neccessary but she is still having the issues. But when I was putting it on her yesterday I realized it doesn't fit around her anywhere near where she seems irratated.

Is there some OTC product that would relieve this?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Maybe try Goldbond powder? I'm not sure how the ingredients would affect a dog though. I'd ask a vet about it first. But Goldbond dries the area out. It makes it a little itchy though and cools the area too.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I purchased some Gold Bond powder specifically for this purpose. I have yet to use it though because I need to see if Annie can lick her arm pits or not LOL. I know, sounds weird, I just want to make sure that if i put it in there she won't lick it all off. I read somewhere that if the dogs lick too much of it the Zinc can be harmful.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Generally the arm pits do not get dirty the ruddy brown color is a yeast infection so powders especial medicatate or foot powder are effective. fungus=yeast. Vinegar and water, is antimicrobial as is using most ear cleaner. These are general more effective than simple soap and water. It can also be an indication of a more systemic problem as well such as allergies or a skin condition common in basset called seborrhea.

underarm yeast infection

YEAST DERMATITIS

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do believe Porter has a mild case of seborrhea since his fur can get a little waxy feel if he isn't bathed weekly and there are some visible dandruff. My weekly baths help lot with this condition, it is barely noticeable if I am diligent about the baths. His armpits are another story. If it is even slightly damp outside, the fur on his belly would get wet and I have to dry him off. Unless he is sleeping belly up, his armpits never dry completely and this can cause chaffing in the area with all his lose skin along with possibility of yeasty pits. The baby power helps a lot, it makes him smell super nice and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. I just wondering if anyone else is dealing with a similar issue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought some OTC clotrimazole cream to use on her armpits as well as some t-gel shampoo because the label said it was good for seborrhea and I figured it couldnt hurt. Hopefully these will help clear up her stinky pits haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Try Lamosil (forgive my awful spelling), an OTC anitfungal, Porter's signs and symptoms are presenting like athlete's foot. If the skin is red and smelling, infected. Clean the area with the vinegar/water mix first, pat dry, "pat" cream onto the skin, and blow dry on him for about a minute. Flip the boy back over and let him run!!! Try to keep him clean/medicated while the area is infected. Any other time, GoldBond. Hope this helps. (BTW Porter was my madien name, so I am very partial!!!)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Porter never runs unless its to chase after a piece of fallen food. hahahaha I have being wiping/cleaning his pits often and keeping then dry with baby powder helps with everything, the chafing and the smelly pits. He would smell so good with the baby powder, I can snuggle with him forever.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
armpits as well as some t-gel shampoo because the label said it was good for seborrhea
Keep in mind to be effective the shampoo must remain for 15 minutes befor rinsing. T-gel makes a variety of shampoo's I know at least one that is good for seborrhea contains tar, While very effective it can be irratation to some dogs.

Selsun blue and a number of dandruff shampoo's contain selenium disulfide (1%) which is generally effective and tends to be less effective. I general recoomend starting their before using a coal tar shampoo only it the one containing selenium is ineffective. The coal tar does seem a bit better whit secondary yeast infections. Make sure you rince the coal tar based shampoos really well so no residuals remain.

coal tar shampoo

·
Registered
117 Posts
So its been 8plus weeks since we've been trying the clotrimazole cream and the special shampoos and Charlotte looks worse not better. The cream is hard to get on her and she usually rubs/ licks it off. The shampoo seems to have no effect. I took her to the vets office and she didn't seem concerned at all. She suggested we continue to use the cream?

I am worried that maybe our vet doesn't really know what is going on. Is there something else besides a yeast type infection that could be causing Chafing/ discoloration (its reddish brown looking)/ minor hair loss and some itching under her arms? If it is really only yeast is there some oral meds we could give her to make sure she is really getting the medication (im thinking like diflucan for women). Should we just go see another vet for a second opinion?

·
Registered
437 Posts
My vet gave Woody a medicated shampoo that, like Mikey T says, you leave on for 15 min.....this seemed to really help his skin...he did have a slight infection that I had to give him oral antibiotics for.

someone did suggest giving the dogs yogurt to help with yeast infections...I haven't tried it but it sounds like it would help....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Annie gets pink pits also. I posted a while ago that I bought Gold Bond powder to use for this purpose and I have since used it a few times. I clean her pits the best I can and pat dry, then sprinkle some Gold Bond into the pits and sort of rub it around so it gets to where it needs to be. She hasn't ever had a stinky pit problem, just the pinkish-ness from rubbing, and the powder seems to be helping. And surprisingly, she rolls right over for me to do all this.

She also gets a scoop of yogurt a few times a week...zero hound odor since she started having it :)

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
I am worried that maybe our vet doesn't really know what is going on
Most general practioning vets are not very good working through dermalogical condition/ While it may be only a yeast infection you need to get at the underly cause allergies, skin folds, seborrhea or combination of all get a resolution,.

If you are concerned I would recommend getting a refferal to a vet that specializes in dermatology
find a dermatologist

if the dog is lick off the cream you may be better off with a medicated powder a least it would tend to keep the pits dry drducing chaffing and make the environment less hosptiable for yeast. Medicated wipes to clean the area. such as derma pets malacitic wiped or you can make your own fron alcohol/vinegar/boric acid mix or leave the boric acid out. leave alcohol out or add witch hazel instead if skin is open or alcohol irritates the skin.

Dogs licking the area then to make the problem worse. a topical anelgisic can relieve itching but avoid benzocaine which it typically found in OTC anelgesics for humans. Lidocaine is what is most doogiy products. a topical steriod like hydrocortozone can help and there is less side effects when applied topically then when taken orally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts