Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend my darling husband left his plate of curly fries on the coffee table because he had to get up and get the remote. Of course when he turned around the entire plate of fries was gone, and there was one guilty basset sitting on the couch, ears back the whole nine yards.

We didn't really think anything of it; she has been known to be a food thief.

Anyway a few hours go by and she starts throwing up, ALOT. After the fifth time, I started to panic. After further investigation (we read the back of the french fry package) the fries are seasoned with ONION powder.

Off to the vet we go.

Luckily the amount consumed wasn't lethal, but the vet did give us a good scolding. He flushed her system, and sent her home. What an expensive lesson!

Watch your french fries!

A

·
0 Posts
Good Golly Miss Molly! (I have been dying to say that!)Glad everything is aokay. yvonne

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Oh boy....I don't know whether to laugh or to feel terrible about this. I hope Molly feels better soon.

It was an accident. You acted pretty fast, that's the good thing. So don't feel too bad about yourselves.

A

·
0 Posts
Oh no that is too bad about Miss Molly.

Don't you just hate those expensive lessons you learn for your dogs? I sure do! When do we/them ever learn?

B

·
0 Posts
Are onions and/or onion powder poisonous for dogs? I didn't know. I hope Molly recovers quickly.

A

·
0 Posts
I'm curious about the onions too. I thought it just raw onions that caused problems. Powder also? I'll have to be more careful with giving Belly bites of my food.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the info. We recently found Maggie grabbing a bunch of fries from the table. We thought she ate all of them but, that night, we found small bundles of fries under our pillows, behind throw pillows and under our blanket.

Guess we finally found something she didn't like to eat unless she was saving them for the morning.

A

·
0 Posts
ditto here. I didn't know onion powder was toxic. geezzzzze! Maggie. U R beautiful. Happy to be a slave to Tummy Boy

·
Registered
135 Posts
Same here with the onion questions. Emma has grabbed scraps from the floor when I am preparing supper. She never eats a lot but has never had problems.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Go to page 2 and look under the heading Brewers Yeast. Look at Toughynutter's reply,he has a link about onion and garlic.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Onions contain substances that damage red blood cells, causing them to be destroyed by the body, resulting in anemia.

From Onion Breath (warning--pdf file)

A normally active poodle arrives for its appointment appearing weak and listless. On examination, the animal’s heart and respiration rates are elevated, a fresh urine sample is tinged dark red, hematocrit is low, and mucous membranes are pale. The client is sure that the poodle has not had access to anything harmful (e.g., garbage, houseplants, mousetraps). In fact, the owner explains that she has taken special steps to enhance both her health and that of her pet. After reading about the numerous benefits of onions, she added grilled Bermuda onions to both of their diets about a week ago. Now, her dog has become depressed and weak. What could be wrong?

Onion Toxicity
Heinz-body hemolytic anemia is what could be wrong. Onions—whether cooked, raw, or dehydrated— contain sulfur compounds (Box 1) that, when chewed, are hydrolyzed to thiosulfinates. Thiosulfinates decompose to a number of disulfides, including dipropenyl disulfide (or n-propyl disulfide), which appears to be the most toxic disulfide.1 These disulfides are oxidizing agents that can cause hemolysis of erythrocytes...

Species Susceptibility
Dogs
All dogs that eat onions are susceptible to their toxic effects...

Garlic, which is also of the family Liliaceae, is related to onions and has similar chemical characteristics.
[ January 04, 2006, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
939 Posts
that's why most of your dry feeds are flavored with Rosemary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts