Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does everyone's basset handle cats? How many of you own them? Rosco has 5 cat siblings, three of which will tolerate him and two of which are still certain that he wants them dead. Unless he starts to walk towards them and they run, there is peace in the house. Once a cat starts running away it's over. Otherwise he usually leaves them alone, except for the occassional hind-end sniffing (eliciting some annoyed looks and vigorous swatting from the cats). Fortunately most of our cats are declawed and the only one who isn't is a big wimp.

Yesterday morning I took Rosco out to do his business and there was a neighborhood cat in our driveway, which nearly resulted in me being dragged across the yard as he went after it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning and my cat are great friends. Lightning sometimes plays too rough with Kitty, but Kitty either gives back (without scratching or biting) or finds a place Lightning can't get to. And sometimes Kitty plays too rough. They chase each other around like two dogs. It's better than t.v. I got very lucky with this cat.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bogie has always tried to stay out of the way of the cats that we've met. When he was a year old or so, we were visiting the house of a friend with a cat, who decided to fly (literally, a black blur flew across the room) to attack a sleeping Bogie on the kitchen floor. Bogie was too afraid to fight back (he is the biggest wimp), so he usually just keeps his distance, occasionally a keep away bark. A neighbors cat also somehow snuck into my house (have no idea how, but I'm allergic so I wasn't happy) in order to hiss at and smack Bogie, who promptly ran behind my legs to hide. Big, slobbery wimp.

The exception is a hairless cat who lives down the street. This cat likes to sit on the porch in the sun, like Bogie, and likes to walk around the neighborhood on a leash. He is very interested in Bogie, and Bogie will tolerate him. I think that maybe he doesn't realize it is a cat...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Flash likes kitties.

I have 3 cats and Flash is good friends with all 3. They play and sleep together. The only thing Flash won't tolerate is Junior ( 6 months ) trying to eat out of Flash's dish; when he tries, Flash growls and Junior wisely retreats.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh, both of those stories are good. Rosco doesn't know how lucky he is - our cat Bunsen smacks the heck out of him from time to time, ninja-style - to no avail, as he is declawed. Korbin, on the other hand, is fully armed and is afraid to use it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have 3 cats here. Mattie wants to be their friends, but the one doesn't want anything at all to do with Mattie, she has got a little better with Mattie. She will now lay on our bed with Mattie but at the opposite end as Mattie. The 2nd one loves Mattie, they eat together (out of the same dish) and the both sit at the door wanting out, but only Mattie is allowed out. They do get into fights but what brother and sister don't. And the new Kitten that's 7 months old.. Mattie and the kitten are best of friends. The kitten has made Mattie act like a puppy sometimes. They run and play, when Mattie gets to rough the kitten slaps Mattie (has drew blood before). Sometimes you will catch the kitten all curled up with Mattie sleeping. But all in all Mattie likes her brothers and sister.

Now if she sees a cat she don't know then.. it is all over. She wants to eat them alive, I do believe. If they run from Mattie then it is a game and Mattie wants to chase, if they don't pay attention to Mattie then, she don't give them a second look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Daisy doesn't see many cats.

A few months ago we were out walking one night and I saw a couple of cats sitting by the sidewalk a few houses further up. I didn't think anything of it, I figured they would probably bolt before we got too close.

Well, they didn't bolt. They just sat there right beside the sidewalk.

As we approached the cats, Daisy started acting a little hesitant to get closer. I'd never seen her act afraid before, she's usually fearless. When it comes to other dogs - no matter how big they are or how aggressive they act - or to people, she's always happy and excited to see them.

But as we got right up to the cats, she was actually cowering and pulling on the leash trying to get away from them.

They cats weren't acting aggressive in any way, they were just sitting there pretty much ignoring us.

She was only about 5 months old at the time. She had never had an encounter with a cat as long as I'd had her, so I just assumed she probably had a bad experience with one before I got her. She did come from a farmhouse.

We haven't run into a cat since then, so I don't know if it's something she's grown out of or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts