Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are worried when our Sam is alone during the day when we are at work. He has the run of the bedroom and hallway and can look out the window from the bed. He has plenty of toys and chew things and we leave him plenty of water and food. Our schedule allows for us to go home and let him out at lunchtime so he is never left alone more than 5 hours at a time. He HATES to be alone and goes crazy when we come home - so happy to see us! When we are home he never lets us get out of his sight.

We would love to have another basset but live in a small mobile home and don't have room for another one. We were wondering if a kitten would keep him company?

Do any of you have cats or kittens around your bassets? How do they get along?

Sam is 8 months old and weighs approx. 40 lbs.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Lisa
Sam's Mom

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My two pretty much ignore the cat, unless he runs by them to taunt them, then they take after him. I'm afraid they don't see him as company. Hope other have had better luck this way!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have two male bassets, and one male manx cat. My older basset, Stomps, tolerates the cat, but Lightning LOVES the cat. Luckily the cat loves Lightning too (and Stomps). Lightning and Kitty chase each other, pounce on each other, play fight, eat together and sleep together. No matter how rough Lightning plays with the cat, Kitty has never used his claws on him. He can get away into another room anytime he wants. If you can find the right kind of cat, it could work out well. But finding the right cat might take some trial an error. I think I'd go for a young adult cat over a kitten. Your dog might be a little much for a kitten. Apparently manxes are somewhat dog-like, which is good. An aloof cat wouldn't be much company.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have two cats and a basset. The cats pretty much keep to themselves, of course they have each other. The one thing I do know is this.....if you think you're leaving something up high enough so the dog won't get it the cats will come along, knock it down and now the dog has it. I'm pretty sure the cats and dog work together, but only when we're out of the house. :lol:

Years ago we had a beagle and a cat. They would sleep together ALL the time. They seemed to be the best of friends. I think cats and dogs can be really close but only if the cat says so!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our three ignore our female kitty, Chloe, but they all like Waldo. He plays with them by lurking in a doorway, whacking them in the face (claws in) and running through the house and up his cat tree, where he watches them jump up and down and bark. Big fun for all. By the way, we had Waldo before we had any of the dogs and they all made friends pretty quickly. Bliss, our youngest hound, had never seen a cat before..............but she saw that the others liked him, so she did too! This is Waldo sharing the doggy bed with Sally, and Bliss and Waldo sharing the recliner with me :D :D

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our three ignore our female kitty, Chloe, but they all like Waldo. He plays with them by lurking in a doorway, whacking them in the face (claws in) and running through the house and up his cat tree, where he watches them jump up and down and bark. Big fun for all. By the way, we had Waldo before we had any of the dogs and they all made friends pretty quickly. Bliss, our youngest hound, had never seen a cat before..............but she saw that the others liked him, so she did too! This is Waldo sharing the doggy bed with Sally, and Bliss and Waldo sharing the recliner with me :D :D

Edited to say that you'd probably be better off to adopt an adult, dog savvy kitty from a rescue. If the kitty's background is unknown, they should be happy to "dog test" them for you. You'd also be saving a life - kittens always find homes, but adult cats - even young ones - are often overlooked :angry:

·
Registered
127 Posts
We have 5 cats and the two dogs. Duncan seems to know which cats are his friends because those two are the only ones he messes with and they both love dogs. Below is a picture of Duncan and Loche aka PoopDog, since we firmly believe that he thinks that he is a dog. He likes sleeping in the crates with the dogs. We actually got our latest cat for him, she is a feisty tortie that will play with him for hours. I definatley agree that you have to find the right cat and remember that the first meeting may not go well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello,

OUr basset, Jasper, gets along great with our cat Lynyrd but not with our other cat Skynyrd. He sometimes shares his bed with them and sometimes chases them around the house. Lynyrd taunts Jasper and jumps up where Jasper can't reach him while Skynyrd just runs and hides, has no use for a basset.

jasperspet aka colleen

·
Registered
77 Posts
HI
I have always had both cats and dogs. Never had any issues. I trained the dogs to leave the kitty be, so if I go to my sisters or my one aunts they never bothered the cats. But we had Charlie, Anna(Bassets) and Spooky and Spooky and Anna played all the time. Brandy and now Zipper play although Brandy looses sometimes and then leaves Zip a lone for a while. Brandy will drop down so she is on her elbows and is at cat level some times she just lays down and paws at the cat like the cat paws at her. She will mouth the cats head(icky slob) and that is when she looses because the cat will bite her jowl. But she has never hurt the cat. In fact Zipper likes to go into the backyard with Brandy and they come in together. Both Spooky and Zipper were black cats. Gizzy and Buttons like the dog but they aren't players she chases them sometimes and they will run to the second step and swat at her not angry just playing. Gizzy likes to steal the dogs bed and Brandy won't take it back so she lays on the floor and gives me a look like well aren't you going to do something with your cat. I think a kitten is good they grow up with the dog then. Zipper was a tiny little guy (1 lb) when we rescued him from the dog pound near my sisters in 2000 and when he met the dog he stood his little ground hissed and spit and I made the dog leave him be and as time went by Zipper just took to the dog. I was actually more afraid my sisters old cat was going to kill him like a mouse. Most day I sit here at my computer with all 4 animals around me. This morning Gizzy had his back feet against Brandys nose I wanted so bad to take a picture but knew if I got up they both would too. Right now Brandy's butt is in Gizzy's face. And life is good. If the attachment worked that is Gizzy and Brandy.

Stephanie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy
On cats and bassets, this is a bit from a story of my Merlin in my little doghouse of a forum.
Pardon the caps.

HE GOT ALONG WITH EVERY DOG HE MET, IN FACT EVERY DOG HE MET TREATED HIM LIKE A BEST BUDDY. HE ALSO HAD MANY CAT FRIENDS. WHILE WALKING HIM, CATS FROM ALL OVER THE NEIGHBORHOOD WOULD COME OUT AND SAY HI AND RUB UP AGAINST HIM. I WOULD BE WAITING FOR HIM AND CATS AS OFTEN AS WAITING FOR HIM TO DO HIS "BUSINESS". A WALK WITH HIM MEANT DOUBLE THE NORMAL TIME JUST SO HE COULD SAY HI TO ALL HIS BUDDIES. IN THE BACKYARD I WOULD SEE HIM WITH AT LEAST ONE CAT PLAYING WITH HIM.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We don't personally have a cat, but Bogie loves cats. Our vet has four cats that lounge around and Bogie goes up to them and just licks and rubs on them. He loves to lay at the back fence and watch the neighbor cats who come up to the fence and they nose each other. Sad to say we have a son-in-law and a daughter-in-law who are highly allergic to cats, so we can't have one of our own. I grew up with cats and dogs that always were best buddies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, bassets and cats can live together and keep each other company. When my cocker spaniel passes away, I was worried about my basset, Humphrey, being lonely. So I got my first cat, Maya. I got Maya as a kitten and she and Humphrey slept together.

2 years later I moved from an apartment to a house and got a puppy & kitten making it 4 pets in the house. The kitten and puppy were young together and played together. With your basset being only 8 months old and introducing a kitten, I think they will become fast friends. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Flash would tell you that kitties are our friends-- he adores them. I don't currently have one, but he has met all of the neighborhood cats and made friends out of all but one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have four cats and one Basset. Bart is really god with the cats, but tends to get jealous of one because he can purr so loud! Other than that, Bart will play with the cats and then run up and down the hall together. The only problem I have ever had was when Bart had a bone, he would get very territorial and growl at the cats if they approached him but it ended there. We did have a kitten for a night and Barty took right to the little girl, she even snuggled with him. If you do decide to get a cat, just make sure you get a covered littler box because Bassets do enjoy their poop!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts