Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past saturday night I brought Bogie with me to a friends house, where he has been many times before. One of the people there has a cat. All of the past times, Bogie and the cat have a short staring contest, and then the cat decides to leave the room, and Bogie decides to stare into the turtle tank instead. This time the the cat did not decide to leave the room, but started meowing. Bogie took a few steps closer to the cat, and then backed away. The cat then flew across the room and attacked Bogie. Luckily the cat was declawed in the front, and didn't hurt Bogie in anyway. The cat did hurt me and my friend as we were trying to rip the cat off of Bogie. Bogie didn't fight back or anything...he just tried to run away and hide, and was basically squealing, but the cat wouldn't let him. I sat with Bogie for about half an hour or an hour until he finally calmed down and stopped jumping when I was petting him. Eventually, I left the apartment sooner than planned because Bogie was definitely on edge, climbing on things, looking all around for the cat (which was now locked in a room). He seems okay now, however the past two days left alone he has had #1 accidents in the house, and he hasn't done that for the past year that I've had him. It is definitely happening earlier in the day, and not right before I come home. I haven't changed the morning routine at all, so I can only imagine that it is linked to the cat incident. If anyone has any advice I'm all ears...I'd rather put a stop to this than let him get used to going in the house, especially since I will be moving into a very nice house within the next week or two.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Cats are evil.

My only advice is to treat him kindly since he's probably traumatized.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I had no advice of my own, so I checked with friend who's a trainer. While it's difficult to truly assess what's going on without seeing it, this is her advice:

going in the same spot? Get an enzyme cleaner at the pet store and clean it according to the directions.

Then feed him in the spot.

If it is multiple places, clean as above.

It really wouldn't hurt to run a urine sample to the vet (UTI?).

In the new house, introduce the dog to one room at a time--don't let him run loose in the house until you have spent time with him in each room.

Is he neutered? If not, fix that.

A belly band would be a good idea, too.[/b]
Don't know if this is helpful, but it might be worth doing the urine sample. Could be a UTI -- or not. Good luck!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I agree with Vision and it could be something a test could uncover but basically it is trauma from the evil cat. The Basset is harmless and helpless and does not have the mean spirit in them that cats have.
don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts