Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if it was okay for my little pup to chew on raw baby carrots? He seems to be cutting in some teeth and I'd rather he didn't use my hand. :D

Is there a safe list of what vegies, fruits, etc?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
my dogs get carrots instead of dog biscuits. they love them.

they're also simply mad for broccoli :?: and kind of like cauliflower and squash, but not that much.

onions are verboten! as they can cause some kind of anemia in some dogs --- i'm not sure about garlic, if it has the same effect as the onion.

grapes, raisins and the like need to be completely off limits to them. but i do give mine strawberries and blueberries.

i've heard of people having to protect their tomato plants from their dogs. :lol: my dogs fortunately haven't acquired that taste.

T

·
0 Posts
Twinkie won't eat any fruit or veggie. :? I think I got her to try a bite of apple ... once.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
775 Posts
One question why shouldn't they have grapes or raisins?

Thanks Karen

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Grapes and raisins can cause kidney damage in dogs and lead to kidney failure and death. :cry:

From what I've ready they don't know why this happens. They have tested for pesticides, fungicides and other contaminants and so far haven't come up with a cause. For more info read The Wrath of Grapes

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our dogs love veggies too. Hubby absent mindedly left some broccoli florets where they could get them - they loved it, but the green poison gas cloud that hovered over our house that night was really gross :shock:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info! I tried a carrot on Charlie today, he seems to like them, or at least shred them. :D

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Mine all love all the fruits and veggies I will let them eat! Baby carrots make a great treat. They also love cold watermelon on a hot day.

I have no doubts that carrots will help with the teething.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wow! Thanks for that info on the grapes and raisins! I didn't know that.
Francis only likes cooked carrots (I think because they're sweeter)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning loves carrots. He tends toward obesity, so I really should keep more around as snacks for him. But he also LOVES apples, and I have several apple trees in my backyard, so right now he'll eat two or three a night. He always brings them in and shows them to me first. Then I have to make a big fuss over what a nice apple that is, then he eats it. They don't seem to bother his stomach at all, even when they're small and green.

·
Registered
144 Posts
We are using carrots for Ernest to keep him happy and to help with teething. He also loves apples (cut up without the seeds), frozen bananas, strawberries (self serve) and raspberries (we cut out the self serve after some raspberry abuse).

He is even okay with zuchinni and green beans.

TH made salsa and he insisted on tasting it. It was not a success.

We planted two extra rows of carrots for ernest. I hope he appreciates them.

lala

M

·
0 Posts
I replied earlier to this thread but don't see it?? Anyway, I also read that Macadamia nuts are not to be given to a dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you!!!!

Thank goodness for this site. I've just read down and have seen you shouldn't feed raisins and grapes to your dog. I have been doing this now and again as treats thinking I was doing them good. Phew!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts