Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure if anyone could sympathize it would be everyone here.

When your dogs have accidents (especially when they are very young so there are more accidents on the carpet than off), what do you use to clean your carpets? What has been the most effective way of getting rid of the stains and scents for you?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
LOL, I just got rid of the carpets.:)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Actually that is the only thing that really works. You can try all of the products and most, if not all, you need to saturate the already wet spot,then let it air dry.I don't know about you but avoiding that area till it drys is usually not practical. It has to completely dry for the odor to be gone and not draw the puppy back to it. It could take several days to dry.If there is still odor then you have to do it again.Good luck

·
Registered
761 Posts
Use an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. It's designed to break down the smell. What we do is get as much of the liquid up as possible with paper towels by stepping on the paper towels. Then we spray it really well with the cleaner. Then let it air dry. You can also use a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water. Don't use anything with ammonia in it. That's the main 'smell' in pee. I also borrow our friend's carpet cleaner about every other month and run that.

·
Registered
973 Posts
LOL, I just got rid of the carpets.:)
This.

If that's not an option, this is the advice I got from our professional carpet cleaner:

Buy a huge tub of vinegar. I think I buy it in 2 gallon sizes. Mix water and vinegar half and half. Completely saturate the stain with the mixture and let it soak all the way through. After about 15 minutes or so use old towels to soak up the mixture.

I do this, except I put the mixture into a Bissell Spot Bot so that it actually vacuums up the liquid at the end instead of soaking it up.

Much cheaper and (in my experience) much more effective than commercial solutions out there, including the popular ones like Nature's Miracle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah no chance of getting rid of the carpet, we live in an apartment.

Thanks for all the tips. I've been using this OUT stuff but it's expensive and I don't think it's cutting it right now. Love the vinegar suggestions. My husband just went to the store and bought two big packages of those Shamwow towels (because we were running out of paper towels like crazy!)

So hopefully I'll get that to work.

This weekend I'm gonna try and rent one of those deep cleaning shampooers just to kind of get a clean slate.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Keep in mind that the vinegar works best with the spot is still wet. If you find a place that has dried you might try the enzymatic kind of cleaner. We use one made by Bissell that you can leave on over night and the enzymes work to get rid of the odor and the stain. It can get pretty expensive but it works really well for me.
Enzyme-Action Pet Stain & Odor Remover

Their website also has a retail finder so maybe you can find a store near you that carries it.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
The thing with enzymatic cleaner is the need time to work generally 2 days minimium that means the area must remain moist and covered for it to work if you simply put the cleaner on the sspot then soak it back up it will not work like it is suppose to.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It is a good idea to first soak up all the pee with a towel and get the area as dry as possible. Keep in mind that the pee can reach the carpet pad and flooring underneath. If that doesn't get soaked up and only the top carpet is cleaned, your basset will still be able to smell.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Along with what Mikey said, you can cover a spot in plastic wrap held down by books to keep it moist longer.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
for those thinking of having carpet instaled they now make carpet pads that have a moisture barrier on to preventing liquid from penetration while a more exspensive the most practial for households with pets.

How To Buy A Carpet Pad

·
Registered
973 Posts
My carpet cleaner does not recommend the pads that have a moisture barrier because carpet pads are very inexpensive to replace, but carpet is not. When they do their best pet stain and odor service, they pull up the carpet and replace the padding entirely and clean the carpet from both sides. I can see how either approach could be beneficial depending on the situation though.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
When they do their best pet stain and odor service, they pull up the carpet and replace the padding entirely and clean the carpet from both sides. I can see how either approach could be beneficial depending on the situation though.
that is far from cheap and require reinstallation of the carpet new tackless strips, streaching etc. If I was to go that route why bother laying the carpet back down.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have had good luck mixing peroxide and water 50/50 and spraying on. You can let it sit until it dries-or you can soak it back up. Soaking it up seems to work better for us because if it is still wet, Flash wants to go there again. If we soak it up after a few minutes he doesn't go back to that same area though (although I think i would rather have him use one part of the carpet versus all different areas now that I think about it lol!)

It also removes stains-even old fruit punch stains (got my carpet used from Pizza Hut of all places when they remodeled here YEARS ago and it had stains the "professionals" in town couldn't get out-but my peroxide did!) You can check the area in a small spot test first, but my carpet doesn't fade/change color at all when I used straight peroxide either (and it is a dark green carpet).

Luckily, for the most part Flash likes going on my wood floors-easy to clean up and those floors will be getting replaced come tax time! So not overly worried about them....yet!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Biological washing detergent diluted in warm water I found the best, someone brought me a Victoria stilwell book when I first had hec she recommended it and I must say it does the trick.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Biological washing detergent diluted in warm water I found the best, someone brought me a Victoria stilwell book when I first had hec she recommended it and I must say it does the trick.
I second that have no problems after using it, though we are considering taking all the carpets up anyway, because Bella is still not completely housetrained, we're about 95% of the way there, she just still has her moments, like if it's cold outside or raining.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts