Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
My basset hounds have killed and eaten several birds over the years. I've watched them do it. One time they even caught and killed a squirrel. They didn't eat the squirrel though. Now, remember my basset hounds are only conformation Champions, not trained for the field. That’s one of the reasons I laugh when some folks say our conformation bassets can’t perform. They have to be good to catch and kill a bird or squirrel. They're still bred hunters with excellent instincts no matter how well they fit the Standard. <_< :D

· Registered
56 Posts
Thank you for the compliment on my bassets. We're trying our best to produce hounds that fit the Standard. Fortunately we have other breeders who have helped us get started with good quality dogs.

I'm happy to hear that you rescued Toby. I highly encourage people who contact us for pet bassets to consider rescue instead. Our first basset hound was a rescue and she got us started loving the breed. We haven't had anything else since. In the end it's not what a dog looks like, but how great a member of the family they become. Obviously Toby found the right "forever home." Perhaps, like us, in the future you'll get more involved with the breed.

BTW --- One of my friends who has been breeding bassets for over thirty years says she always feeds her bassets slices of bred if she suspects that they ate a bird. She said that her vet told her the bred helps to reduce the effects of the sharp bones. I have no idea if it does, but I follow her advice if I suspect one of mine has eaten a bird.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.