Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I got up this morning and let my westie out(Toby still sleeping) Went out after and picked up yesterdays dog dirt from the garden.About 10minutes later Toby heads for the garden. He is out there alone for about 10minutes which is unusual for him as he usually does his stuff and comes in immediately. I hear him scraping the door and I let him in and feed both dogs Whilst they are eating I go out and pick up Toby's toilet and that is when I see a mass of BIRD Feathers and a BIRD'S HEAD on the grass.!!!

Do you think it is possible that a basset hound could catch a bird, kill it,, rip the feathers off and then eat it, all in the space of about 10minutes, and then come in and eat his breakfast? :huh:

If it had been my westie, I would have believed her capable of this, as she has a strong prey drive, but I find it hard to believe that a basset could do this to another animal.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of behaviour in their hound?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If it were my dogs, the bird would have had to have a heart attack and fallen out of his tree directly onto one of my dogs' heads. Then my boys would have had to mistake the bird for a stuffed animal, at which point, yes, they would tear it apart. Otherwise, no. I can't speak for other bassets.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My basset hounds have killed and eaten several birds over the years. I've watched them do it. One time they even caught and killed a squirrel. They didn't eat the squirrel though. Now, remember my basset hounds are only conformation Champions, not trained for the field. That’s one of the reasons I laugh when some folks say our conformation bassets can’t perform. They have to be good to catch and kill a bird or squirrel. They're still bred hunters with excellent instincts no matter how well they fit the Standard. <_< :D

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Do you think it is possible that a basset hound could catch a bird, kill it,, rip the feathers off and then eat it, all in the space of about 10minutes, and then come in and eat his breakfast?

:) Yes. And, later in the day, bring you what's left and plop it happily on the bed

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
One of my girls caught a partridge last year.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
They have to be good to catch and kill a bird or squirrel. They're still bred hunters with excellent instincts no matter how well they fit the Standard. <_< :D
[/b]
:lol:

Both my conformation champions have done their share of backyard hunting, too. :p :D

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe once threw up two and a half mice on my wool rug. :p He didn't kill them though... the cat left them in the yard. She likes the thrill of the kill more than the taste of rodent. He ate them for her. :blink:

Is it possible that a cat (yours if you have one, or a neighbor's) killed and left the bird for the dog to find? Or perhaps the bird flew into a window and was killed? (That happens now and then with my glass doors. :eek: ) Otherwise, I believe all dogs are capable of killing small things, though catching one may have more to do with dumb luck, rather than skill. :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies folks. Looks as if he did eat it as he has the most awful wind (never has that) and today, runny stools.

L&S I am laughing at your reply, :D That is what I would have said if asked this question a couple of days ago. Not so sure now though.

Woebegon,I've been on your website several times and my guy is taller, thinner and I think lighter boned than your beauties. He is a rescue, and from what I have read on this forum, obviously the result of a BYB or puppymill, but he can run like the wind and chases ANYTHING that moves.Never thought if he caught anything he would kill it though.Never seen a pic of a 'field basset,' but I'm guessing they would look like him.

Shallb, no remains in the house,I think if he did I would consider a muzzle :eek:

And Terry, yes there are cats in the neighbourhood and lots of foxes. Worth a thought!!

It's good to know that other bassets do this too. I'm going to phone the vet and see if she recommends giving me his worming tablets earlier than usual in case he has picked up some parasites. :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you for the compliment on my bassets. We're trying our best to produce hounds that fit the Standard. Fortunately we have other breeders who have helped us get started with good quality dogs.

I'm happy to hear that you rescued Toby. I highly encourage people who contact us for pet bassets to consider rescue instead. Our first basset hound was a rescue and she got us started loving the breed. We haven't had anything else since. In the end it's not what a dog looks like, but how great a member of the family they become. Obviously Toby found the right "forever home." Perhaps, like us, in the future you'll get more involved with the breed.

BTW --- One of my friends who has been breeding bassets for over thirty years says she always feeds her bassets slices of bred if she suspects that they ate a bird. She said that her vet told her the bred helps to reduce the effects of the sharp bones. I have no idea if it does, but I follow her advice if I suspect one of mine has eaten a bird.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts