Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rusty & Stickers were use to riding in the breeders SUV in a crate. We have 2 regular cars and no room for a crate. Now, they just lay on the backseat. I am concerned that with them switching places during the ride, that someone will end up falling on the floor. Also, if we happen to stop sudden, boom!! Does anyone have any experience with harnesses?? Every picture I've seen shows the dog sitting up. I'm assuming they can also comfortably lay down??? Any opinions???

·
Registered
239 Posts
I like harnesses! It took a little time for them to get used to it and not get twisted. I drive an extended cab pickup truck so the back seat is not huge. I think it's safer, plus the hounds can't get into as much trouble.

Yes, mine can sit and lay down.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Alice!! Hunt Test in June upstate NY. Will fill you in! Belinda and molly.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Hmmm. Jake actually juumped over the seat in his harness... freaked me out as I imagined strangulation before I could pull over and scold him...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We use the "Safety Seat Support Harness" made by Four Paws that is fleece lined and very wide across the chest and under the belly. Our vet called it "Bogie's skid plate". We got a very heavy duty nylon leash (made for monster dogs) that we use to tether him with in our SUV. We use the tether metal rings (actually retangular shaped) for baby seats in the SUV at the base of the back seat and thread the leash through that and tie it to the length we want and hook it to the harness. He can sit, stand, lay down, and but not move around. When we tried to use the regular seat belt, it was the type that have the shoulder harness and lap belt together, and he couldn't move at all, only sit straight up when belted, and was not a happy traveler.
We also bought some very firm king size pillows, that I covered to match the grey seats, that we stuff along the floor board so he can't nose dive there. I lay a rubber backed rug on the seat for him to lie on, won't slide, and he rides on that and does great.
I'll try to get pictures next time we have him out for a spin.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We hook a short lead from Ruby's regular harness to something in the back of the car (I think there's a place to hook it; don't know what it's called). I think we probably should get one of those regular seat belt type harnesses because when we were driving across country, once we had to slam on the brakes and Ruby's butt fell down between the seats. We had to pull off the road to get her back where she should have been.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love doggy seat belts. We got Byron's seat belt harness at Petco. He can sit up or lay down comfortably and it keeps him in place in the car. Otherwise he would be all over the place.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I use doggy seat belts for Sadie & Spencer. They hook through the car's seat belt & then onto the dog's harness. They are adjustable in length. I think I got them from KV Vet Supply.

[ March 02, 2006, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: AmyB ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts