Basset Hounds Forum banner

Canine Good Citizen Test

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Mikey T 
#1 ·
Is it possible for a Basset to pass the Canine Good Citizen Test? I'm just wondering since they are so independent and stubborn sometimes. I want to know if it is worth it because it is something I would like to do with my Libby. The thing is that I'm afraid she will fail when people pass by her, she'll go after them, in a friendly way of course ;) . How many bassets on this forum have passed this test? Or at least tried it?

#3 ·
Yes! Definitely go for it!

The class will be interesting, and practicing with her at home for a short session each day will help you to really bond with her- just keep it fun, and remember that bassets respond best to praise and positive reinforcement.

Please keep us posted! You can do it!

#4 ·
Bogie Carter has his Canine Good Citizen. You can do it, and it's a wonderful experience for the both of you. Just be prepared to practice at home what you learn in class and have lots of patience and tiny treats for rewards. We practiced Bogie about 10 to 15 minutes every morning and every evening. Once he started doing well at home, we took him to the local park with it's distractions and would practice there. Had some curious looks when we practiced, and answered some questions, but it really paid off. Our class had 24 dogs at the start and only 14 stuck it out for the whole course, some deciding they didn't want to put in the time and effort.
It was so amazing after a couple of weeks to see how everyone was progressing. Go for it, and you will be rewarded with a Basset who is a joy to take places and to be around. People are amazed with how well mannered Bogie is. We take him everywhere with us, and he truly is a "Good Citizen".

#5 ·
Bogie's Mom is right on! I took both of my kids and they both passed the CGC test. The progress that each dog makes is amazing. You have to make a commitment to practice at home each day. One hour a week in class will not be enough. In the end you will have a truly good citizen. I continued on with Rusty and now he is registered with Therapy Dogs, Inc. It is really worth investing your time. You will have a better dog for it!!

#7 ·
I copied this from the AKC site. If you go to the "AKC Canine Good Citizen" on the internet you can find additional information. After about six to eight weeks of classes you and your dog take a 10-step test, and if you pass you are awarded the Canine Good Citizen certificate. The one I took here in Mitchell was done through the "4-H Dog Program" with trained instructors. Really great and positive with lots of treats for rewards.
AKC's Canine Good Citizen® (CGC) Program Sponsored by K9 Advantix®
What is it?

AKC's Canine Good Citizen® (CGC) Program
Sponsored by K9 Advantix®

Welcome to the AKC's Canine Good Citizen® (CGC) Program Sponsored by K9 Advantix®. Started in 1989, CGC is a certification program that is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. The Canine Good Citizen Program is a two-part program that stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good manners for dogs. All dogs who pass the 10-step CGC test may receive a certificate from the American Kennel Club.

Many dog owners choose Canine Good Citizen training as the first step in training their dogs. The Canine Good Citizen Program lays the foundation for other AKC activities such as obedience, agility, tracking, and performance events. As you work with your dog to teach the CGC skills, you'll discover the many benefits and joys of training your dog. Training will enhance the bond between you and your dog. Dogs who have a solid obedience education are a joy to live with-they respond well to household routines, have good manners in the presence of people and other dogs, and they fully enjoy the company of the owner who took the time to provide training, intellectual stimulation, and a high quality life. We sincerely hope that CGC will be only a beginning for you and your dog and that after passing the CGC test, you'll continue training in obedience, agility, tracking, or performance events.

#9 ·
Yes!!!

Both Harley and Fred are CGC's. See my brag in the performance section!

Harley passed her test at the Michigan waddle off-lead picnic. The examiner was very nice when she stopped in the middle of the recall to vomit. :p

#10 ·
The examiner was very nice when she stopped in the middle of the recall to vomit. :p[/b]
O/T--That reminds me of the time Buffet left a certification track to roll in a sheep carcass. :p :p (Dogs have to run a certification track and be evaluated by a judge in order to be eligible to enter AKC tracking tests.)

#11 ·
Check out my sig line for the answer....CCGC (Canadian Canine Good Citizen) and CGN (Canine Good Neighbor) are equivalent test by different organizations.

#13 ·
12 at the moment. I've had previous dogs with the CGC as well. It's fun.

#16 ·
The class here in Mitchell, SD would let you start with a four month old puppy. Some of them did not pass, but got wonderful socialization and then came back for a second class which they passed. The biggest downfall was the long stay for these younger pups who had so much energy to burn they just could not be still that long.

#17 ·
Hi, I'm Mom to Sophie who is currently 13 months old. I entered her in CGC classes at our local dog training club in April. Their classes are 9 week sessions and they offer CGC every session with the test at the end. She passed 9 out of 10 stations when tested. We are going to try again to pass in September. Don't think that the pup has to pass the first time. One of our instructors had a dog that took the test three times before passing. The classes are great, Sophie and I have learned a lot and had fun doing it. One bit of advice....take the pup on a walk before class....less energy helps the pup pay attention to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.