Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We haven't posted on here for a while, but we are always lurking. We have a question for the group. We currently have our two wonderful ladies. Ellie is 2 and Clara turns 1 on Nov. 28. Ellie was fixed when we adopted her (She was our rescue from the pound.) Clara is currently in heat. We have an appointment setup for her on the first week of December to get fixed. They have been such a hoot. When we adopted Ellie, she was very quite and loved to cuddle. She was perfect. When we adopted Clara, well, that was another story. She is loud and can be obnoxious, but we love her to pieces. Ellie had never howled until we got Clara. It is really something when they both get going (of course we help them along with that. :rolleyes: ) Getting to the question, we had some friends approach us who have a 4 1/2 month old basset male. He is current on all his shots, but they are looking to get rid of him. They have two other non basset dogs and really don't treat him like a basset should. They are asking us if we would like to take him. Being the basset lovers that we are, we are having a hard time saying no. We know that we wouldn't even try to bring him in until Clara is out of heat. Are there any thoughts as to whether we should wait until after Clara is fixed if we do decide to take him? We are struggling over the decision because they talked about taking him to the pound and we know how difficult it can be if you don't know much about bassets. We don't want to see him end up in a bad situation.

Shannon

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
To answer your topic title: no there is no such thing as too many Bassets (although I only have 2, my house can't hold any more :( )

I'm no expert, my dogs were both altered when I got them (both rescues of sorts), but I think that if you wait until she is out of her heat then you are in the clear, now if the family can wait until you get her fixed that would be great too.

Whether or not you decide to take the new boy perhaps you can help the family find the boy a new home so that he doesn't go to a shelter (I know thats not your job, but I'm sure you don't want to see him go to a shelter). There was a lady at my gym the other day who works at a shelter and she says that the odds at a shelter are definitely against the animal (especially at Animal Control).

Hope everything works out, keep us posted (Maybe you'll soon be posting about the new addition to your family :p )

~Heather

·
Registered
245 Posts
My local shelter has a standing request from me to never put a Basset down simply because nobody has adopted them. I will take them anytime and if I run out of space I will build more for them. I would love to have little floppy ears running all over the place!
don

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Shannon,

Maybe you could ask the current owners to get the boy fixed before he comes to you, so then it will save you the cost and you can get him right away. :lol:

Kat

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have 6 1/2 bassets and will probably have more before I have less. I think the limiting factor is space and $$. Bassets are such social animals that they usually love having a lot of them around. I say usually because I have one basset who is definitely a loner, but I think that she was from a byb at one point and probably didn't get a lot of love and attention.

I would wait until your female is out of heat & fixed before introducing anyone new. I'd also have the male fixed ASAP. I have known dogs do incredible things to get to a female in heat!

I say GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'd ask the dog's current owners to have him neutered. At 4 1/2 months, there are vets who would do the job. BUT keep in mind that even after this surgery, if you take him home, he's going to have hormones surging for awhile. You'd have to keep him away from your bitch.

I currently have three bassets, one neutered male and two intact girls. I show in Conformation, or the girls would be spayed. After Charlie finished his Championship, I had him neutered because it was impossible to have an intact dog and a bitch in season living together. I'll never forget the time I was trying to watch t.v. in our family room, with Charlie locked in the kitchen and Edith with me. I could see Charlie through the French door as he sat in the middle of the kitchen floor, lifted his nose to the ceiling and bayed in misery. I had to put his crate in my van and leave him out there at night so that we could get some sleep. Life is much easier now that Charlie's parts are gone! And I love having three bassets -- my own little pack!

·
Registered
511 Posts
If I ever have the chance of getting another one, I would. I just didn't know how many dogs I could have by city ordinance. Well last week the city council updated the animal ordinances, and I just about fell over laughing. :lol: :lol:

By city ordinance, each household is allowed to have the following:
5 cats or dogs of any combination. (So I could have up to 5 Bassets) :rolleyes:
15 rabbits. (Something for Dozer & Digger to chase) :lol:
25 chickens.
1 potbelly pig.
1 goat.
And if you have a child in 4H, you are allowed one farm animal, possibly a cow.

At least now I know I can have more than two bassets.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd ask the dog's current owners to have him neutered. At 4 1/2 months, there are vets who would do the job. BUT keep in mind that even after this surgery, if you take him home, he's going to have hormones surging for awhile. You'd have to keep him away from your bitch.

I currently have three bassets, one neutered male and two intact girls. I show in Conformation, or the girls would be spayed. After Charlie finished his Championship, I had him neutered because it was impossible to have an intact dog and a bitch in season living together. I'll never forget the time I was trying to watch t.v. in our family room, with Charlie locked in the kitchen and Edith with me. I could see Charlie through the French door as he sat in the middle of the kitchen floor, lifted his nose to the ceiling and bayed in misery. I had to put his crate in my van and leave him out there at night so that we could get some sleep. Life is much easier now that Charlie's parts are gone! And I love having three bassets -- my own little pack![/b]

Seeing him baying after those girls would have tickled me. :lol: I'm glad you took care of him so that he wouldn't be miserable anymore. There was a bitch in heat across the street from me and Fred wouldn't eat. He'd just lay there mostly and bay sometimes because he couldn't have her. I'm getting him neutered next month so that he won't have another miserable summer.

As far as having another basset, if I could afford to feed and take care of another mouth, I would get Fred a female companion. Right now, Fred would be trying to make a female his wife and baby momma because he isn't neutered yet. :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for the advice. We have decided to take him. We are going to wait until Clara is completely out of heat. We think she is in the last week of it now. As soon as we get him, we will post some pictures of him.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
That's wonderful news! I hope you'll be as happy as I am being a multi-basset household.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts