Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll start out by saying that I know nothing about dogs. Having said that, my daughter is in contact with a breeder of basset hounds with the intent of purchasing a puppy. She was informed by the breeder that one of her dogs had just given birth to a litter of 12 of which 2 died. My question and some apprehension about this situation is - 12 sounds like an awful lot for a litter! Do they put their breeding dogs on fertility drugs to enhance the numbers being born? Is a dog from such a large litter more at risk for health problems than a dog from a smaller litter? For all I know, a dozen puppies/litter may be a normal phenomenon for basset hounds but it just seems like an awful lot to me. Anyone care to enlighten me on this situation? Is it normal for some puppies in a litter not to survive?

Thanks

John

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
12 is a large litter, but quite normal for bassets. The largest I've had so far is 10, and one died before being born.

And yes, even with care it is normal to lose pups. While I normally can raise the entire litter with no problems, I've lost some during delivery or later on when Mom sat on them and suffocated them. This despite the fact that I'm with them 24/7.

No matter how careful you are, things can go wrong, you can even lose the mother and entire litter if you are unlucky.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts