Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spencer has had problems with severe allergies most of his life. His allergy tests have come back with results so off the charts, the vet who did the last tests even re-did them, thinking he made a mistake. Spencer tested severely allergic to so much, they were unable to make a serum that adressed all his allergies. I have been giving him injections at home for years. The injections have worked, along with oral meds during certain times of year. Anyway, for the weird part, I recently noticed him scratching less & I started stretching his injections out from every 4 or 5 days to a week or a little longer. Now, it's like someone flipped a switch & he hardly scratches at all. I haven't asked the vet yet about it, & I am not complaining, but it seems strange to me. Spencer has been diagnosed with canine cognitive disability & the vet suspects he may have a brain tumor. This has made me think - is it possible there are changes going on in his brain that has caused him to not react to the allergies? His skin & coat are in great shape, in fact that's another weird thing - he hardly sheds at all anymore & he has always been a dog that would shed year-round. Any thoughts?
Amy

·
Registered
932 Posts
Is Spencer on prednisone or any steroid? Our Sally had a lot of skin and other unrelated problems and was eventually diagnosed with Addison's disease. The prednisone is the treatment for it and explains why she was always much better when on it for any reason. One side effect of Addisons is thinner fur with much less shedding. Might be worth checking out....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts