Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a six month old basset. She is sweet and gentle and goofy and smart. But her separation anxiety is beyond. My wife and I honestly feel like we’re being held hostage.

First some context: I did exhaustive research. Heck, I had to wait 13 years to be in a position that I thought was right to welcome a dog into my life, including over two years on a waitlist for my pup. I grew up with a dog. I spent a year living/caring for with a lab puppy. It sucked. It was hard. Frustrating. In short, I was mentally prepared. There were zero illusions here that this would be tough so I’m extremely ashamed to admit that most days I feel stress, anxiety, and anger as I continue to adapt to life with a basset. Having a three year old toddler doesn’t help, but here we are.

If my dog is alone outside for more than ten minutes, she barks. We only ever “make” her be outside alone to do her business. Can’t leave her alone in a room for more than two minutes or she’s barking. Loudly. Crate training didn’t work so when she’s inside we have to keep her on a leash attached to furniture. Today we forgot to leash her, I went to the bathroom, was gone for three minutes, and discovered her upstairs tearing into the trash. Have been able to go some places but have to take her with me which means she literally has to stay with me or, if not allowed in the store or wherever I have to leave her in the car (comfy crate, a toy, portable radio playing) and worry she’ll be stolen.

She goes to doggy daycare multiple times a week (loves it!) or when she’s at home she gets 3-4 walks a day and is never alone.

Please tell me what I’m doing wrong and that this will get better. Or, be honest, is this life with a basset?

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
I spent a year living/caring for with a lab puppy. It sucked. It was hard. Frustrating. In short, I was mentally prepared.
UMM no you make a common mistake in assuming that one of the easiest breed to raise hence the popularity prepares you for basset puppydom, One of the easiest ways to get out on a breeders never sell to list is I know what a basset it like because I use to own ,,,,,. you are slowly realizing why most basset owners have multiples or at east another dog or other pet for them to interact with,. They are very social creatures and do not do well in isolation/alone. While this is a generalization and there is occasional one that is fine or prefers being a single dog household they are very rare,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UMM no you make a common mistake in assuming that one of the easiest breed to raise hence the popularity prepares you for basset puppydom, One of the easiest ways to get out on a breeders never sell to list is I know what a basset it like because I use to own ,,,,,. you are slowly realizing why most basset owners have multiples or at east another dog or other pet for them to interact with,. They are very social creatures and do not do well in isolation/alone. While this is a generalization and there is occasional one that is fine or prefers being a single dog household they are very rare,
Thank you for your feedback. To be more specific about my preparation, I had two phone meetings with a dog trainer (the first about puppies in general, the second about hounds), I interviewed two friends friends who each grew up with basset hounds, and finally before we welcomed our basset home, we adopted two very dog-friendly kittens (Unfortunately one had FIP and I had to put him down on Friday). When preparing for this puppy, we considered adopting a second dog but were told by multiple people - including a trainer at the SPCA - to wait until our basset is at least one year old before bringing home a second dog. What are your thoughts? What behaviors should we be evaluating to determine the best timing for a second dog?

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
you want the first dog settled in before bring in a second, unless the second is an adult . If you bring on a seconded younger dog the older is likely to shape the new one with the behaviors you are having .

fWIW here is a two year old that at Four is no different and her kids are very much the same mold.

a conversation My wife had with Harriet

Harriet: How come when Hope is chewing a bottle you let her keep it, but when I'm chewing a bottle you take it away?

Me: That's because Hope is chewing an empty soda bottle, but you were chewing a full shampoo bottle

Harriet: I don't get it.....how about I chew this ladle?

Me: No

Harriet: You're not taking away Faith's chew

Me: Faith is chewing a hoof

Harriet: Hoofs are boring. How about I chew your phone?

Me: No

Harriet: Why not? How about I chew the footstool?

Me: Why not chew on this chew toy?

Harriet: Ugh! Why would I chew that?

Hyper basset

·
Registered
13,222 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Have a six month old basset. She is sweet and gentle and goofy and smart. But her separation anxiety is beyond. My wife and I honestly feel like we’re being held hostage.

First some context: I did exhaustive research. Heck, I had to wait 13 years to be in a position that I thought was right to welcome a dog into my life, including over two years on a waitlist for my pup. I grew up with a dog. I spent a year living/caring for with a lab puppy. It sucked. It was hard. Frustrating. In short, I was mentally prepared. There were zero illusions here that this would be tough so I’m extremely ashamed to admit that most days I feel stress, anxiety, and anger as I continue to adapt to life with a basset. Having a three year old toddler doesn’t help, but here we are.

If my dog is alone outside for more than ten minutes, she barks. We only ever “make” her be outside alone to do her business. Can’t leave her alone in a room for more than two minutes or she’s barking. Loudly. Crate training didn’t work so when she’s inside we have to keep her on a leash attached to furniture. Today we forgot to leash her, I went to the bathroom, was gone for three minutes, and discovered her upstairs tearing into the trash. Have been able to go some places but have to take her with me which means she literally has to stay with me or, if not allowed in the store or wherever I have to leave her in the car (comfy crate, a toy, portable radio playing) and worry she’ll be stolen.

She goes to doggy daycare multiple times a week (loves it!) or when she’s at home she gets 3-4 walks a day and is never alone.

Please tell me what I’m doing wrong and that this will get better. Or, be honest, is this life with a basset?

·
Registered
139 Posts
First of all- you are never really “prepared” for any basset. Get doggy gates and restrict her at regular intervals so she is on a schedule. Ours only goes outside to do her stuff or sun and only if she can see one of us. When we leave the house and don’t take her we out her in a bedroom, doggy gate before a closed door so she doesn’t scratch door and turn on tv. Works for us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all- you are never really “prepared” for any basset. Get doggy gates and restrict her at regular intervals so she is on a schedule. Ours only goes outside to do her stuff or sun and only if she can see one of us. When we leave the house and don’t take her we out her in a bedroom, doggy gate before a closed door so she doesn’t scratch door and turn on tv. Works for us.
Great tips! Especially the gate/door combo. Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts

They can pick up on your anxiety so it's a viscous circle..ie if you are fearfull they pick up on that act in an uptight state or like they are on guard. One thing I would say to be carefull of is rewards of any kind.the basset hound learns something and never forgets and repeats it like a stuck record..so if you give a treat to stop them barking for example they will then bark more etc. You need to start teaching new tricks and rewards for good behaviour they are slow and the hardest to train but if you stick with it they will get it eventualy.

·
Registered
9 year old Basset Hound
17 Posts

·
Registered
9 year old Basset Hound
17 Posts
Our Basset also has tremendous separation anxiety. Bassets like to be with their owners...alot. I am not sure what leashing her inside does for you ? Bassets tend to get into trouble when left alone...into the trash, eating anything in reach whether food or not but especially if it is a food item in reach. You are certainly giving your pup enough walks and exercise. Perhaps she gets loads of attention at doggy daycare and expects it at home ? Bassets are loyal,loving,playful dogs and we love ours and could not imagine life without him ! Maybe she likes to be close to you when she is at home because she is at Daycare some of the time, Also-she is still a baby at 6 months and they take more time and are needy compared to an adult dog. Hang in there...Bassets are worth the time !! Tucker's Mom

·
Registered
139 Posts
OMG we do the same! Treats on the bed, TV on Hallmark, gate before the door and door closed. Happy as a clam!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts