Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we got ourselves a popup camper this week and wanted to introduce the dogs! Man did we have a great time with them bouncing around!
It's a Coleman Yuma
*sample photo
]

Me and the mutts! (Riley the Golden, Apache the Chihuahua, and Katie Bug the Basset Hound)

My fiance Lauren and the family!

Kisses!

Apache would like to leave the mad house!

Our first camping trip is next month for a weekend at a fairly local place. It will be my very first camping trip ever! I am super excited~
Can I buy the marshmellows yet?

Anyone else camp with their basset?

·
Registered
562 Posts
We're talking about doing the pop-up camper thing at this year's GABR waddle. We too have 3 dogs but they are all hounds. We've never tried camping with them before. Also, if we can't afford to go get the camper (in Michigan) I guess we are camping with them in a tent...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I used to go camping with mine all the time. He so loved rubbing his face on dead things in the woods or on the beach. We had a dog run for him made with two twist in tie downs, and a coated wire in a bright color so we wouldn't trip on it. The leash had a round metal circle on the end that slid along the coated wire. He could cover the campsite without going into the woods or the fire.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
How funny you should ask!

saw this post and we actually just got back TODAY from camping this weekend with our puppy (well, more like adolescent now)... it was great! we were camping at the beach (had to grapple with the tsunami warning here on the Left Coast and chance it a little, and luckily we had no problems...)

Worm is tired, tired, tired and has been sleeping all evening...

It was a bit cold-- anyone have thoughts on how to keep your dog warm while camping? i'd be interested in hearing. or maybe one doesn't need to a basset warm and his fur coat is enough?

Well, i put him in a sweater and a padded doggie coat. And he had 2 flannel blankets on top of him in the tent, too. That was the best I could do, as I was in a +15 degree sleeping bag myself.

i used an extra-long leash and tied it to the picnic table & he had the run of the campsite.

your dogs look like they are enjoying the pop-up a lot already! let us know how it goes camping with them! :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I go camping at least once a year when we ship our lambs off the Mountain.I have a camper (not pop up) and my Bassets just loved it.My Abigail would plant herself in front of the pickup when I would start to load it. That's why I bought the camper, so I could take my dogs and the rest of the family couldn't say anything.If they come stay in my camper they have to put up with my dogs.I have two bigger dogs now so they stay home and just the Basset comes with me now. I once spent a week up there herding the sheep with my dad.My girls were in Heaven.As for tent camping I did that with my first Basset.I just put a blanket on her.I think the coat thing is a good idea.Here in the Mountains it gets real cold at night even in the summer.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Bowser LOVES camping! lol
Well my parents do it for weeks out in Eastern Oregon. I drove up with him last September and slept on an air bed in a sleeping bag with him in a tent! He snuggled up to me and we kept each other warm. I actually also used a hot water bottle and stuck it between us on the really cold nights.
As for the days, he ran and ran around freely out in the woods...he got to see a crawdad, a frog, some fish, and eventually deer and elk! He loooved the smells. Be careful off leash though because those bassets will waddle away and not come back! He was still fairly young, and was losing his baby teeth at the time though and didn't want to be too far away from mama.
I even have a pic somewhere of him and me toasting marshmallows : )

·
Registered
117 Posts
Our first camping trip is next month for a weekend at a fairly local place. It will be my very first camping trip ever! I am super excited~
Can I buy the marshmellows yet?

Anyone else camp with their basset?
We just booked a cabin in the Shanandoah National park (at he Lewis Mountain cabins, they are all pet friendly!) for our first camping trip with Charlotte in May. We are super excited, I just know she is going to love being outdoors for the long weekend. We are fairly new to this area and always looking for new places to take the hound would you mind sharing where you are taking your pups camping?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
We haven't been camping in a couple of years, and want to give it a try this year with Boomer. I have a feeling he would really enjoy it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
We camp a lot with Sally & Bliss, but we have a 40 foot RV we call Big Ben the Basset Bus. It's more like a mobile hotel room. The girls adore it...they can hardly wait to get in and take off. We have a several huge xpen panels and encircle our entire campsite with them, put our chairs and picnic table inside them and everything, so we don't have to worry about them wandering off. Lots of leisurely walks, cool smells....and real beds to sleep in. Basset heaven. Pretty fun for us too.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
We camp a lot with Sally & Bliss, but we have a 40 foot RV we call Big Ben the Basset Bus. It's more like a mobile hotel room. The girls adore it...they can hardly wait to get in and take off. We have a several huge xpen panels and encircle our entire campsite with them, put our chairs and picnic table inside them and everything, so we don't have to worry about them wandering off. Lots of leisurely walks, cool smells....and real beds to sleep in. Basset heaven. Pretty fun for us too.

Spoiled brat

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
My furst camping trip in March. It was at the beach. It was fun. It was c-c-c-cold... I was f-f-f-f-rrreeezing. We were surrounded by raccoons, but they did not eat me. ho ho ho-- it wuz heaven, as u can see, i got to be naughty and eat all the sticks i wanted at the beach.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
Worm you're such a handsome boy. Esther would be crazy not to go for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We are taking Watson camping for the first time next month. My husband and I (we were married about 2 months ago) both grew up camping, and we are SO excited to continue the tradition in our family. Hopefully Watson will enjoy it. We're taking the crate for sleeping purposes, he's never slept out of his kennel so I don't know how well he would handle sleeping in a tent.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Thanks everyone! it was fun. and we are going to "Yuhsemity" in August. dunno what that is, just know it is more camping.

@Rosco-- i dunno how you do it. i can't even get 1 basset gurl, much less 2 like you. :( that ester gurl is going for brad pitt or something. (sigh) i need to learn some mooooves from you. i don't have them yet.

@Watson & Chuck-- hope to see some pics from your camping trips, they sound fun!

@Boomer-- i slept in the tent so i wouldn't get eaten by raccoons. actually, the rule was i have to go sleep in the tent. it was c-c-c-old, but mommy had a mummy bag so i couldn't fit inside. so i slept next to the people in my own dog bed and lotsa blankets bundled up... like a piggy in a blanket...

@Molly-- why, i would love to share some sticks on a beach with you... sounds romantic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts