Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took Stomps to the vet last week, she took a blood test that showed that Stomps has a slightly elevated calcium level. The vet said 11.4 was normal and Stomps was at 11.7. She also said that elevated calcium could be an indicator of cancer. (When I asked her what kind of scale we were talking about, she said that a dog recently diagnosed with lymphoma had a level of 16.) She recommended I get an ultrasound of his abdomen. When I googled calcium levels in dogs, the sites I got said 12 was normal for a dog. So I don't know what to do. If Stomps has cancer developing, I obviously want to catch it early, but I'm not even sure that his calcium really is elevated. Any advice? (P.S. Stomps is about 13 but could be older, if that matters.)

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
When I took Stomps to the vet last week, she took a blood test that showed that Stomps has a slightly elevated calcium level. The vet said 11.4 was normal and Stomps was at 11.7.[/b]
Each laboratory establishes a reference range for its population, which is why you will find slight variations in what's considered elevated among various labs.

Not infrequently, slightly abnormal laboratory values will normalize over a period of a few weeks. If it's an option, you might just repeat the test in a few weeks to see where it's at. If it's still elevated, then consider working it up.

Hypercalcemia in Dogs: Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Did your vet say anything else that might indicate why she recommended doing the ultrasound or was she just going by the calcium levels? Please keep us posted on how he is doing. How is his skin problem?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She felt the ultrasound was the first logical step based on the increased calcium levels. That seemed like an extreme measure for such a small increase, so I'm going with Betsy's suggestion of having another test done in a few weeks. That makes the most sense to me. (Betsy, thanks for all the info. It was really helpful.) His skins seems to be clearing up. he's still on Benedryl 2x per day and the antibiotic, but I haven't bathed him with the special shampoo yet (I don't know if he's ever had a bath, so this is going to be a nightmare). I need to put his invisible fence collar back on him, even though the sweetie pie hasn't once stepped over the line since it's been off. He's such a great dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts