Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little Frodo is pushing towards 7 months old. He is a veritable fount of entertainment going from one mischief to the next. He has started not sleeping all night a few weeks ago and my husband and I are heading towards exhaustion. We have 5 dogs counting him and they mostly sleep in our room… Our oldest male Jake always sleeps in our bed… one on an ottoman at our bedside… and the others on scattered beds around the room. Frodo initially was sleeping with us but has started “sneaking” off the bed at night to play. Our nights go something like this… bedtime 10pm… he’s out cold… around midnight he slithers across the foot of the bed to wander in the living room (our bedroom door is open to allow potty breaks via a doggy door… the others never get into trouble)… I get up to find him on the kitchen table… or eating books in the living room floor… or taking my purse outdoors…or on and on mischiefs! I put him in his crate and he’ll nap another hour before he begins to cry…. He wants back in bed with us where the cycle begins again. Sometimes we are up 8-10 times per night chasing him down. He does not spend long times in his crate during the day – at the most 4 hours a few days a week… but he can’t be left out alone with the others in the kitchen because he is still skinny enough to escape the big pen… hence why we hate crating him all night though it is the only way we get sleep… during the non- whining phase… Generally he has lots of romping and play time with the other dogs in the day… We walk him in the evenings… I actually made the little booger run last night – no sniffing time for him… we’ve started giving him a snack before bed thinking a full tummy might help… He is in puppy school but “sit” and “watch me” don’t really help with the busy part… Does anyone have suggestions to make the baby stay in bed? We had a dog many, many years ago that did this... but darned if I can remember how we finally convinced her to sleep with the rest of the house!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think the only way to escape this is to keep him in his crate all night till he develops better sleeping habits.I know this isn't what you want to do but for the time being it may be best for him as well as yourselves. Let him do his whining and ignor him,put the crate in a place where you won't hear as much of the noise and keep him there till everyone is up. If you feel better getting up once with him to let him potty ,fine,but then back in the crate. You know they are dogs of habit you just need to start his over so it coincides with your time frame.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think crating his would be the best solution as well. Our dogs don't sleep with us on a regular basis but when they do Virga has a hard time settling down as well. I'll let her move around to get comfortable but the minute she hops off the bed or tries to get Doppler to play she goes in her kennel and stays there the rest of the night. Your pup will probably calm down as he gets older. But for now I would crate him at night until he learns that nighttime is bedtime and not playtime. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
I think the only way to escape this is to keep him in his crate all night till he develops better sleeping habits.I know this isn't what you want to do but for the time being it may be best for him as well as yourselves

It not often that we agree but this is one time. there are a number of things that you can do to help the matter. Put the crate next to the bed within reach so the dog can see you and you can sooth the dog without letting him out.

see Creating a Nighttime Ritual

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also have to go with crating all night...Ella use to be the same way and it took a long time to get her to not whine and to sleep all night but she finally got there and can now be out of the kennel in our room all night.

You just gotta do your best to ignore it, maybe putting him in the kennel more during the week so he gets use to it more? Ella always gets treats when she goes in the kennel too so i would say make sure to always treat when he goes in so that he will associate something good with the kennel.

You could also get a kong and freeze some peanut butter or yogurt and put it in with him so he has something to do while he is in the kennel.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm... a kong in the crate at night might by us a bit of time... He gets a cookie when left in the day and his favorite hard nylabone to gnaw on as well... he is the most precious pup ever- gentle, cuddly... we love him dearly... but mischief should have been his middle name!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Now I'm not saying you don't give him any attention but the more attention I give a youngster the less likely they are to get into thngs. This means I sit on the floor while the puppy plays or chews the chewy etc. and I pet them and talk to them and play with them.I do this many ,many times during a day.If you work full time I know this can't be done but most dogs find things to do out of boardom. The other thing is persons who let things lie around when there is a puppy in the house. I don't give the puppy heck I tell the person they should have known better. You made me laugh Mikey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts