Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know about these, but I just got a Buster Cube and thought I'd share the info...

George is definitely not one to play with toys. But he's crazy about this one. He's been playing with it for the last half hour, wagging his tail and having a fantastic time. Of course, the motivation is food-related.

It's a hard plastic cube with a hole in one side. There are chambers inside that hold dry kibble or small treats. The dog needs to work at getting the food out, so it's mentally stimulating. They roll it around until a few kibbles fall out. Some people put their dog's morning meal in there before they go to work to help occupy the dog.

I ordered it online (kvvet.com) although they're pretty widely available. Here's their website - http://www.bustercube.com/ .

M

·
0 Posts
Maggie Mae LOVED her Buster Cube when she was young. She would go for hours with that thing. All that work to get some kibble!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I've been looking at one of those and wondering if they work. Currently their favorite chewie is a kong stuffed with some can dog food and frozen. They will work on them for an hour- I may get a buster cube for something new :)

A

·
0 Posts
I just ordered one. Henry can clear out the Kong in less than a half hour. He needs a new challenge. BTW, Arcata Pet was cheaper than Amazon.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sadie & Spencer were afraid of the Buster Cube! They barked & ran from it. Go figure!

B

·
0 Posts
Byron has a Kong treat ball that works on the same premise, but he seems to be getting bored with it. He has become too good at getting the treats out by flinging it down the stairs. Do you guys think that the Buster Ball would withstand violent trips down the stairs?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alicia - I think a Buster Cube could survive a violent fall (!), but it's probably not as durable as Kongs. It may pretty noisy too.
I really am thrilled with this thing - George is playing with it again right now.

A

·
0 Posts
Joni, do you think a blind dog could figure this toy out? I'm always afraid that Franny's bored when I'm at work and this sounds like his kind of toy.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Beverly - I think Frances can do about anything but I wonder if this toy might be frustrating for him.
After I saw your posting, I watched George play with it and it seems that the complexity of getting the treats out would require vision. But from what I hear of Franny, I could be completely underestimating him!
By the way, you must have a good memory; you remembered my real name!

A

·
0 Posts
OK, now he's barking incessantly at it and it's wreaking havok on my wood floors! :p Ok, More updates to follow..... :confused:

Baxter's Mama

A

·
0 Posts
Well, Henry's new Buster Cube came yesterday. I put some kibbles in it and within 20 minutes of pushing it around, getting it into corners, barking at it, etc. he had it emptied. Its already time to move it to "more difficult".

Obviously he loves it.

B

·
0 Posts
I just bought home the buster cube. I was very excited, thinking this would be the toy that keeps Byron busy for hours. I filled it with kibble and and placed it on yhr floor. Byron sniffed and stared but didn't try to roll it. I figured he needed someoneto show him how to use it. I rolled it towaed him and he ran into the other room. Just my lick, he's afraid of it! I have played with it more than he has. I hope he grows to like it.

A

·
0 Posts
I think Francis could get a snack out of a stone. The other day I ran into the store to pick up a few things and picked up one of those tiny SlimJims and gave Francis a little bite. I shoved the rest of it into my jeans jacket pocket and when I got home I hung the jacket over the back of the kitchen chair. A couple of hours later I hear something out in the kitchen and when I went to investigate His Majesty had his big old basset nose shoved deep into the pocket of that jacket struggling mightily to retrieve the SlimJim and the chair had fallen backwards. It's always something and he's always one step ahead of me!

[ March 19, 2006, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]

H

·
0 Posts
Well, I got a Buster Cube for Homer from PetsMart last week. He's doing pretty well with it. I put 1/2 cup of his kibbles in it and give him 1/2 cup less in his dinner. When he gets hungry he tosses it around with his nose till he gets some kibble. It doesn't keep him occupied very long, but long enough to have a little fun! He does return to for a snack though. It's on carpet so it doesn't scratch the floors, but it does make a racket so that it's hard to hear the TV at times! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts