Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past week/week and a half or so, Lollypop has had bumps on the top of her snout. They appear a little bit swollen, then they disappear, then re-appear a day or two later. We thought at first that maybe she bumped her nose hard on something, but now were not sure what is going on! Anyone had there on their hounds snout?

As an aside, we skipped Frontline this month as we thought there was a hard enough frost, but, sure enough, I found a few ticks on her a few days ago but they were NOT attached (bitten in), rather just on the fur surface and easy to pick off. Maybe the swollen snout is a reaction to ticks? I know she is allergic to bees!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The disappearing bumps sounds like it could be an allergic reaction, if it continues maybe you could phone your vet and see what he thinks-

As far as ticks- Murray and I both got Lyme a few years ago. We were bitten by ticks the third week in December out on the State Gamelands near our house- I was lucky that I got a rash because alot of people don't get one and don't know they've been exposed. Murray didn't have any symptoms but I had him tested because my test came back positive.

We were both on a 3 week course of antibiotics..... if you live in a heavy tick infestation area, you might consider year round protection

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Doing a search, I found this thread. I was teaching this evening and returned home to find a bump on Winston's snout. It's about the size of a nickel in diameter and pretty pronounced. This happened while I was at work, as I was playing with him this afternoon and there was nothing there. It's sort of squishy and moves when I touch it. He doesn't seem overly in pain. He growls when I touch it, but it could be a play thing (he growls when we play quite often) or a little sensitive. What causes this? Could he have bumped it? He did rearrange the living room while I was out.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Is it on the top? Side? Is there a chance he could have been stung or bitten by any bugs? I ask because Annie had something similar but it was more on a jowl, bee sting. I gave her benadryl and she did fine :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It's on the top. He wasn't outside very much today...quick potty trips. I was working a lot and it was rainy. I didn't notice any stings...he cries easily. I'm at a loss. Seems like it popped up while I was at work tonight.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Bassets do tend to stick their noses where they don't belong. I always make sure I have benadryl on hand. Jake had a issue with vacinations that was cured with benadryl.

My folks had a doxie allergic to certain fly bites cured by the same.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Feeding dishes can cause this reaction,plastic, sometimes ceramic.If it doesn't stay away consider trying another kind of dish ,like metal.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
hello every one i am new to fourm i have owned dogs butt i cant understand them can any one help me i gave him good feeds but no react
I'm not sure I understand *you*, can you try this again please?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
So far it's staying away. We were at obedience class last night and I mentioned it to the trainer, who said it may have been a spider bite. We get them in our house a lot (it's an old house) and Winston likes to play with bugs. I think this is the most plausible answer and could definitely have happened while I was at work. Oh my boy.

Thanks for your input, everyone :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts