Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

Just found this forum and I'm excited to be joining. I have a basset hound named Slobbers. She's a 7 year old girl, tri-color, kind of tiny and spayed.

I noticed lately that she seems kind of lethargic. . . at first I thought it was just that she is getting older but now I'm noticing that she has two lumps on her back, side by side that almost seems to me. . . where her kidneys would be, but I'm not sure of the anatomy of a basset so I'm not too sure. There is one lump on each side of spinal column and I'd say they're about 1/3-1/2 the way up her back from her base of her tail. Is this normal or does it seem like she might have something wrong. I'll try to get some photos that are clear enough for y'all to see. Hope I get some good feedback. Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Welcome, but you really need to take your Basset to a vet. Forum members can't make diagnoses. Please let us know how it what it turns out to be, and how your dog is doing.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
FWIW Spondylosis Is just one of many posibilities

An Overview of Spondylosis in Dogs

Welcome to Web DVM: The Web's Best Source For Canine/Feline Advice And Health Information - Spndylosis

Rubeola Virus Immunomodulator;An Experimental Treatment for Ossifying Spondylitis

What is Spondylosis?
diographs of animals with spondylosis show bony spurs reaching out from the body of vertebrae. As time goes by, the spurs from neighboring vertebrae meet and merge, making bony bridges between vertebrae.

The body forms the spurs which turn into bridges in order to stabilize the area between two neighboring vertebrae. Instability between neighboring vertebrae causes damage to the spinal cord and spinal nerves as well as surrounding muscles and other soft tissues. If this instability goes on long enough, serious damage and disability can occur, so the body attempts to remedy the situation by bridging the gap between vertebrae with bone. Unfortunately, the bony bridges themselves can further interfere with and damage the nerves and other surrounding soft tissues. If spondylosis becomes advanced enough, the spine becomes a solid, fused mass of bone rather than the flexible entity it was meant to be.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My daisy has the same thing on each side of her spine. They feel hard and I was afraid to push on them. When I first noticed them, I thought the same thing as you. I looked up Basset anatomy and I thought.. hmm.. around the kidney area... So, I took her to the vet and he told me that she had doggie love handles! The pet hospital said the same thing, so I am not concerned anymore. She is overweight, but these do not feel like fat. Just a hard bump on each side of undertermined size close to the base of her spine. You might want to take your baby in to have them looked at. (just because we might not be talking about the exact same area etc)..

Would love to know the outcome! Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts