Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is getting these bumps on her hot spots (armpits, belly folds) I took her the vet about a month ago and he said it is puppy peca-something, (I can't remember the exact word) but he said it was normal it is just a drop in the immune system and to put her on antibiotics, so that is what I did, she got kinda better but they never went away. So now they are back and seem a little worse, and they get scabs on them and some look like rashes, she doesn't seem to bothered about it, and I don't want to run her back to the vet if this is "normal" like he said, so has anyone exprienced this, and if so what did you do to prevent it? Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
My pup is getting these bumps on her hot spots (armpits, belly folds) I took her the vet about a month ago and he said it is puppy peca-something, (I can't remember the exact word) but he said it was normal it is just a drop in the immune system and to put her on antibiotics, so that is what I did, she got kinda better but they never went away. So now they are back and seem a little worse, and they get scabs on them and some look like rashes, she doesn't seem to bothered about it, and I don't want to run her back to the vet if this is "normal" like he said, so has anyone exprienced this, and if so what did you do to prevent it? Thank you
[/b]

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You don't give us much to go on. :( Two things come to mind: One is demodex which are are mites which normally are present on the dogs skin and don't cause symptoms unless the immune system is depressed. See Demodectic Mange.

The other thought, just from the partial word you mention (peca} is petechiae, which isn't a rash but caused by hemorrhage into the skin. That's a symptom of a lot of things but in bassets can be a bleeding disorder called thrombopathia. However I doubt that it could be this or your vet would be following up on it.

Next time you go to the vet write down what he or she says. Any possibilities based on the information you give are just a guess! If it were me I'd want a skin scraping or biopsy. And IMHO it's (whatever the hec it is) not normal unless your vet is saying it's normal for a puppy with a compromised immune system.

You asked about this back in August and doesn't sound like there has been any resolution. I'd first suggest you find out from your vet exactly what's going on. If you're confident in your vet and he says it's normal then I wonder why you're asking here? And since you ask, I'd say bring her back to your vet!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts