Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bubba needed exploritory surgery to find out what was going on with him. He had diarrhea for a while and nothing I did helped ,I started to notice he was losing a little weight. He never acted as though there was any pain but I know how stoic bassets are even if they hurt. The Vet felt a mass and she was taking him into surgery the same day.I went home ,she would call when it was over,but I couldn't stay there.So ,I'm in the waiting room,thinking to myself that there couldn't be anything seriously wrong,nothing they can't fix. For heaven's sake you just turned 3 a month ago. Then, Dr. Purcell came through the door,her face solemn,"It isn't good news-lymphosarcoma." How can that be? We haven't had enough time together. Lymosarcoma, what a horrible word. I knew it ment cancer and probably death. The Vet said it is affecting your intestines and liver. If we did nothing you might live two weeks,if we put you on medication,then possibly 2-4 months. What options are those? I asked if I could see you. You wanted to get up,but I gently laid you back down and rubbed your velvety ears. All the while you didn't take your eyes off of me.I cried so hard my insides hurt. When I went to leave you thought you could come with me-God,I hated leaving you there. As I walked to the van I remember wondering how this could be such a beautiful spring day. Why is the grass turning green,why are flowers starting to bloom,and why are birds singing when something so dark and black is growing inside of you that you won't see your fourth birthday? It was all so unreal to me. I went home and cried every time I thought of you. Poor Grace didn't understand. The next morning they called us to come and pick you up. They had told me you would be there two days,but you woke up feeling fine(probably WOOFING your fool head off). There was 45 staples holding you together ,there was nothing holding me together. Photo of Grace and Bubba (he-6 months) Grace 4 years. 2nd photo Bubba home from surgery

Attachments

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Oh, so sad. He was only three? How awful for you.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I feel your pain. We lost our girl Savana at 3 1/2 years old to lymphoma. I remember calling in to the vets office after they removed the growth from her anus and they assured me over and over again that there was no way it could be cancerous as she was surely far too young to even be concerned... so why was I so nervous about this call? Well of course we got the worst news we possibly could get and on our anniversary no less. Our little baby girl was dying and there was little we could do about it. We tried chemo and prednisone but from the diagnosis till the time we let her go it was only one month's time. I remember going into the vet for our daily trips for fluids and waiting in the waiting room while other owners got happy news about their dogs not having cancer and being so angry at them. Not because I wished this same fate to them but because they were so happy and joyous and I was so sad and miserable to be losing our poor girl who had never even gotten a chance to grow up.

However it was also this whole incident that led me to find our breeder and get our girl Roxie, who is by far one of the most incredible dogs I've ever known. She has taught me things I'd never dreamed possible and gotten me involved in things I'd never even considered before. So I have to believe everything happens for a reason. It is due to my experiences that I am so adamant about knowing your breeder... when I went back to our first "breeder" that we got Savana from to let her know this had happened and perhaps to contact some of the other owners of littermates to let them know to be more proactive... I recieved no response from her. I left several heartfelt messages to no avail, needless to say I was livid that they would be so heartless as to never respond.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly,even Bubba's breeder didn't react the way I thought she would . She was like get over it but she had years of shows with her champion and I was working on my first real shot at having one that could be "one of those few" who could have been a great dog. This is despite the fact I Loved him so much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts