Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago ,we decided your fate ,you and I. I saw you in pain and I promised I would not let you suffer. Today, I picked up your ashes.I was surprised when they brought the container to me-a beautiful handmade cedar box with your name engraved and a small lock and key. At last , I was bringing you home forever. It felt like you were with me again. Till then the house felt empty(and so did I),except for Grace. She still couldn't understand why you didn't come through the door with me.(Neither of us knew she would be joining you in 10 short months)I want to open the the cedar box and look inside,but I don't think I can do that yet. Now,Grace and Bubba are side by side-where they belong -at home forever. I want to thank Susan Randolph for imortalizing Bubba in the book, "You Had Me At Ahrooo." "Tails of Life ,Love and Laughter from Hound Level." This book has many stories of bassets and the proceeds go to rescue. (Bubba and Grace) (Another favorite sleeping position of Bubbas and yes he is snoring)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Having read each post you've written about Bubba, I want to thank you for sharing what was surely a heart-wrenching experience. We do the best we can for them in the short time they are with us (even pets that live to be double-digits are not with us long enough). I didn't know Bubba but he was certainly a special boy...lucky to share his life with you (and you with him).

·
Registered
275 Posts
We brought a cedar box home in Oct. 2009. It was one of the saddest days of my life. The box remained on our fireplace mantel for 6 weeks.........I couldn't rest until the ashes of our beloved hound were scattered and her spirit set free. On the first snow fall of 2009, our entire family and their dogs formed a procession to the local nature park, which was Lucy's favorite sniffing ground. There my husband spread the ashes and set her free to roam forever with the great spirit in the sky. I like to imagine her forever hunting rabbits and frolicking with many basset friends while she waits for me!

I wish you peace knowing Bubba is in a better place. You'll always miss him!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I also want to thank you for sharing all the posts you have written about Bubba. I still can't talk very much about my experience of losing Scully because I completely fall apart when I really let myself think too much about it. Reading your posts, I see many similarities to my own feelings, and it is somehow comforting to realize that I am not abnormal for feeling the way I do. Particularly when you mentioned that you felt like you lost a part of your identity...that is exactly how I have felt because Scully was such a huge part of my life and was by my side through a lot of major experiences.

Wishing you peace and comfort in all your memories of Bubba.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts