Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have pointers on how to get us dawgs to co-OPERATE with teef brushing? My person wants to know and she's makin' me ask ya guys.

We try it, but i'm always squiggly and always trying to eat the toofbrush. this is a situation where treats won't work, as the whole point is to clean da teef, not get 'em dirty.
--otherwise food motivated, Worm

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Two suggestions, first use a tasty toothpaste (my guys seem to like the chicken) and secondly start small with just a finger, then with a washcloth, then with a real toothbrush. I find my guys do best with the battery kind, maybe because you're not swishing the brush around as much.
I forget how old Worm is, but don't forget that if he's at teething age his mouth may be sore.
Always make handling *everywhere*, especially sensitive areas like mouth, feet, ears, eyes, tail, testicles (if they have them) a part of your regular routine so that if you HAVE to deal with them for medical reasons the dog is already accustomed to it.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
wo suggestions, first use a tasty toothpaste (my guys seem to like the chicken) and secondly start small with just a finger, then with a washcloth, then with a real toothbrush
between the finger, washcloth and a real tooth brush is a finger brush, stick on the end of the finger that has worked well for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Worm, this is a great question! Kenna also doesn't really like her teeth brushed. Amazingly, she doesn't fight it! She'd just rather her teeth not get brushed. I have started getting her the BIG chuncks to help break down plaque, and it does work.

·
Registered
972 Posts
we've been lucky with daisy and bowser...we make them sit, or lie down, then you grab the muzzle firmly, keeping it shut, take your thumb and lift the lip and insert the toothbrush. then...Brush brush brush brush BRUSH while they try to pull away and open their mouth and eat the toothpaste and bite the brush! LOL I try to just go quickly all around the outside and front, then i get another dollop and go for the other side, and the inside....which is stick the brush in their mouth while fighting them to keep their mouths open and not bite the brush and attempt to kind of wiggle the bristles on some back teeth on the inside LOL

We've had daisy for 6 years and the vet says her teeth are really great and clean (we brush every night before bed) and bowser's are pearly and he has a great smile ; )

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wworm- we just started with Fergus and are having luck with the tasty toothpaste (I mean, c'mon who DOESN'T want chicken toothpaste??) and using a finger for now.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mrs. Soundtrack, I am a year old, so dunno if i should still be having teef issues.

My person tried to give me mint dog toothpaste, but i thought it was quite icky and barfed it back up. now we are onto beef toothpaste, but almost too tasty 'cause i keep lickin' it as fast as my tongue will lick.

Thanks for all da tips here, everyone! i will TRY to co-operate.
i wanna grow up and have teef like Daisy's and Bowsah's.
--Worm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts