Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
When we adopted my senior rescue she already had advanced periodontal disease. She had 8 teeth removed before we got her. Our vet says in order to keep it from getting worse we have to brush her teeth every day.

I've got one of those dog toothbrushes as well as one of ones that slip over your finger and the chicken flavored toothpaste but no matter what we do she HATES it.

It took us almost a full 30 minutes with two fully grown adults holding her last night to just get the brush in her mouth on each side. Normally she is very submissive and relaxed but watching the ordeal you'd probably think we were torturing her.

Does anyone have any advice for this? She squirms with every muscle in her body and whips her head around like a toddler that refuses to eat his peas. We talk to her and calm her down but as soon as the brush gets pulled out again it's back to squirming.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Surprisingly, my hounds object to every method of tooth brushing EXCEPT the battery-operated toothbrush. I suspect it's because I don't have to swish it around their mouth. Ginger LOVES the chicken toothpaste and will follow me around asking for more.

You can also try putting the paste on a washcloth and scrubbing the teeth with that.

Failing that, there is a solution you can put in the water to help prevent tartar and plaque, another one that can be squirted directly in the mouth, and I also give the hounds dental chews, rawhide strips (you can get ones that are treated with enzymes to help with tartar/plaque) and large bones. Finally, a couple of my hounds are on a dental diet, which has extra large kibbles and more enzymes. Of the two available from my vet, I found the Purina to be better nutritionally than the Science Diet.

If all else fails, just persisit with the tooth brushing (or washcloth) until she learns that she must accept it.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
f all else fails, just persisit with the tooth brushing (or washcloth) until she learns that she must accept it.
That may never happen. General I would recommend desensitation and counter conditioning techniques but you can afford the time it would take to accomplish.

the chicken flavored toothpaste
The make a variety of flavors try them all in the smallest sample size available. sometime there is one the dog simply can't resist. that said most of mine prefer the mint of human tooth paste to that of meat favored doggie tooth paste but peanut butter doogie tooth paste runs a close second.

I also general find multiple hand on deck the try and control the dog unhelpful because it only serves to increase the stress level of the dog. I find a calm slow approach more appropriate. find a location, and restraint harness tied to a bed post etc that limits the dog movement, keep you in control yet minimize the stress on the dog. Take with you a pile a cookies, cut up hot dog etc for treat. Lift lip give dog treat. Place brush near mouth give treat, Touch tooth with brush give treat, Brush tooth treat repeat. It may take 3 hours the first time but if the reward is strong enough over time the brushing activity will take on the value of the treat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine are pretty cooperative when it comes to brushing their teeth. If you go slow and are patient you might get good results. Maybe start a drop of toothpaste on your finger and let her lick it off your finger. Then when she is relaxed, you might want to put some on the toothbrush and let her knibble it or lick it off. Then gradually put the toothbrush in her mouth and she can feel the touch on her teeth. Eventually she should learn that it tastes good and nothing terrible will happen to her. Go slow and be patient. Here's a video I took awhile back of our nightly toothbrushing routine. Rusty is more cooperative but both are pretty good. Good Luck!

Nightly Toothbrushing! video by BooKittyMaggie - Photobucket

·
Registered
878 Posts
I was going to start a topic about brushing Bassets' teeth and to ask people if they do it and how often!

My two sisters absolutely love having their teeth brushed... as long as I use the chicken flavour paste and whichever one isn't being brushed, tries to to take the brush from me with her mouth or licks the other one's mouth... but I have to admit to not doing it as often as I used to.

RustyStickers I love your video and your Bassets are gorgeous!

Edit... I must brush my Bassets' teeth tomorrow and really make the effort to do them daily!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine are pretty cooperative when it comes to brushing their teeth. If you go slow and are patient you might get good results. Maybe start a drop of toothpaste on your finger and let her lick it off your finger. Then when she is relaxed, you might want to put some on the toothbrush and let her knibble it or lick it off. Then gradually put the toothbrush in her mouth and she can feel the touch on her teeth. Eventually she should learn that it tastes good and nothing terrible will happen to her. Go slow and be patient. Here's a video I took awhile back of our nightly toothbrushing routine. Rusty is more cooperative but both are pretty good. Good Luck!

Nightly Toothbrushing! video by BooKittyMaggie - Photobucket
Our other dog actually really enjoys getting his teeth brushed too. He is a little apprehensive right at first but once he smells the toothpaste he's cooperative and tries to lick the toothpaste as we're brushing his teeth :p We don't even have to restrain him at all.

I wonder if our basset's teeth hurt when we brush them and that's why she fights it so much.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'll figure out how to get those teeth brushed somehow :cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
We picked our little bundle of joy up last Sunday. He is doing very good with everything I have done to him, except brushing his teeth. His vet gave me a sample of chicken flavored toothpaste with a finger brush. Nitro thought he could eat it all, including my finger. After watching your video, RustyStickers, I was holding him all wrong. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Nitrosmum, something else you might like to do, as well as regular teeth cleaning, is to get your pup used to getting his nails trimmed while they're still soft and easy to do - my breeder said to trim a little bit off every week (not past the 'quick' though or they bleed) and when they're older they will not mind having their nails trimmed if they don't do a lot of road/pavement walking.

I have seen some horrendously long nails on some Bassets on YouTube and it must be so painful for them to walk, so little snippets now and again will get them used to it!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Successfully brushed teeth without a struggle tonight. I used a finger toothbrush that was clear so she wouldn't see it coming and put peanut flavored toothpaste on it she hadn't tasted before. Brought it up to her like it was a treat.

I take that back, she did struggle once I started the brushing, but instead of restraining her we just distracted her again with the toothpaste and she calmed down.

Also bought the water stuff you mentioned and put it in all their water sources, hoping that will help as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts