Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all again!
I'm hear once again to get some advice about what I should do with my girl. Saturday I noticed that her nail was cracked and wasn't sure if it was going to break off, but didn't do much with it because it was still attached. The next time we went outside and came back in, it was gone. So after reading some "What to do"'s on the internet I very carefully trimmed the nail down so that it would not snag on anything. There has been absolutely no blood or whimpering about this incident, but she is limping VERY hard, barely putting pressure on it at all when she walks. She's not sensitive to when I'm around that area, maybe because she trusts me...I'm not sure, but when I poke around to see if it's something besides her nail she just acts like I'm giving her a massage, haha.

She seems happy, but she is resting more. I'm wondering about if anyone else has experienced this issue too. Maybe to give me an idea of how long she may limp on her leg, so I don't wait too long before taking her to a vet. Or any pain remedies I can give her without getting a prescription from the vet as well.

THANK YOU!!!
-Lazy Daisy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh, sorry I didn't clarify.

It was just apart of the nail, definitely not the whole nail. It may be close to the quick, I can't really tell if it is apart of it. It didn't bleed though, so I assumed that it wasn't apart of the quick. The crack is farther back on the underside of the nail, then on the upper side.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If part of the quick were involved it would have bled,a lot. Possibly when she cracked the nail her foot may have caught on something pulling her toe or even her foot trying to free the nail. Possibly she sprained something ,if the limping continues she should see a vet . Most bassets will not show pain ,they have a high tolerance level.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Anabelle's nails crack pretty often (she ate literally garbage for years) but they are getting better. Anyway I have never seen her limp or show any pain when it happens. So I would agree with bubbad that you should have a vet check her out.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
You can have the nail crack arounds the quick the quick. so stepping on the foot may put pressure on the quick causing pain but there is no bleeding. An infection can find it way through such an exposed quick as well.

Macey broke a toe nail geting out of the truck basical at the attachment point to the foot. She limped prety badly on it. Scheduled surgery for the toe nail to be removed and teeth cleaning, Basical the nail fell off in the vets hand so no charge for the surgery,. After it was remove she limped no more so from first hand experience just damage to the nail can cause a limp.

I had another dogs nail Split right around the quick as well leave a floppy quicj with no nail bed to protect it. This was Surgical removed as well as the exposed quick is an infection waiting to happen. If the nail is craked and the quick is not involved the dog should not limp unless what cause the nail to crack cause a soft tissue injury ( Ie muscle or tendon strain)

The fact she is limping points to the quick being involve and exposed somewhere this should be address by a vet to prevent the posibility of a severe infection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts