Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!

So we recently took in an abandoned little girl. She is 2 years old and was used for breeding but after her second litter her milk still hadn't came in and most of her second litter died because they didn't have another nursing female. The breeder was going to "dispose" of her since she was useless. She was kept outside on a chain her whole life and has been quite the handful trying to train her for indoors life.

She is a miniature basset hound and I have not had her long enough to get her into the vet yet, going to try and do that Thursday 06/30.

I wanted to hop on here and see if anyone had any suggestions to help or ideas why this would happen.

I plan on spaying her, I usually take in boys to avoid the whole going in heat process. But thought if I could give her just ONE successful litter she might be happier.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
"But thought if I could give her just ONE successful litter she might be happier."

nope, no indication having a litter makes dogs happier.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Agreed, there is no reason to have a litter, especially from a female with proven issues providing for the pups.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
TOTALLY agree - making her happy is a human viewpoint in terms of motherhood. It's all about instinct with dogs, not happiness. In fact as mine waddled around towards the end of their pregnancies, they'd look at me as if to say why have you done this to me. And I thought that too!! Get her spayed asap. If she's unduly small, this is a fault in the breed - there is no such thing as a miniature Basset. They come in one size much as there is variety within bloodlines, European Bassets tending to be bigger than N.American Bassets.

And then there the view that the more seasons a bitch is allowed to have, the more the risk of mammary, ovarian or uterine cancers (or a pyometra) later on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stated in the original thread, I do not wish to breed her truly, I was just wondering what could cause this and the idea of breeding is just an idea.
Tomorrow we are going to the vet to have a full work up and schedule spaying.

She is PAPERED and REGISTERED as a miniature basset hound through AKC and ACA, I also did not think it was a thing or real. However, with all the paperwork I would have to say it is so. She doesn't have the typical coloring or markings like the traditional bassets, no white tipped tail and she is all brown and black with the brown going into the black with an ashy blend. This has led me to believe that there may have been inbreeding going on with the breeder, I do not know anything about the breeder. We got this girl from a chain tied to a tree in a dirt patch on some property. He was going to shoot her since her milk never came.

Again I just mostly want to know why it is happening?? Any ideas or past experience with other dogs.

I have only ever had neutered males because I do not like the process of going in heat or pregnancies.

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
Bringing milk in, perhaps I'm having one of my numerous 'thick moments' but what do you mean by this, are you asking why she had no milk? If so, would suggest from how you describe how she was kept that perhaps she was malnourished. Don't breed & haven't had bitches, but a pregnant bitch & one that is feeding her litter, I believe should be fed more to help her maintain the extra needs of her system?

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
"a miniature basset hound through AKC" impossible there is no such thing as a Miniature basset. ACA registration is not worth the paper it is written on.

" no white tipped tail and she is all brown and black with the brown going into the black with an ashy blend. This has led me to believe that there may have been inbreeding going on with the breeder, "

there is no breed standard calling for a white tip aka flag at the end of the tail. There are plenty of basset who don't have a white tipped tall. FWIW the process of marking is both genetic and environmental. Pigment cell originated form neural crest sites along the spine and head of the fetus. then migrate to the entire body. This migration is effected by genetics as well as environment in the womb. White area are place the pigment cells never reached. The tend to be the points furthest from the neural crest sites feet, belly chest, muzzle tip of tail etc. see: How the Cat Got Its Coat (and Other Furry Tails) - Scientific American Our study used a combination of biological experimentation and complex mathematical modelling to demonstrate that pigment cells migrate randomly. Rather than moving in a specific direction like the sprinters in a 100-metre race, the cells move with little or no persistence, like drunks staggering out of the local bar at closing time.

Genetically identical twins in dogs can be marked completely differently.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
She is PAPERED and REGISTERED as a miniature basset hound through AKC and ACA, I also did not think it was a thing or real. However, with all the paperwork I would have to say it is so.
I have no knowledge of the ACA but the only official Kennel Club in America is the AKC and I SERIOUSLY DOUBT they would have registered her as a 'miniature basset hound' unless the breed has now separated in America :confused::confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
I have no knowledge of the ACA but the only official Kennel Club in America is the AKC and I SERIOUSLY DOUBT they would have registered her as a 'miniature basset hound' unless the breed has now separated in America :confused::confused:
The AKC does NOT register "Miniature" Basset Hounds, and the ACA is one of many sham registries that sprang up so that sellers that couldn't or didn't want to meet AKC requirements could provide "papers" on puppies they sell. You can "register" pretty much anything with them.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts