Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jacob will be 9 weeks when we bring him home. It will be middle of sept. It is about 2 and a half hour trip home. He will only have 1st set of shots . Any suggestions on how to handle safely the bathroom thing on the trip home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think they recommend every hour! I can double check. Ours turn 7 weeks this week and we get to bring them home Thursday. They are only 40 mins away from us.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I'd travel him in a crate and have appropriate thick bedding in there. I didn't feed a full meal before our puppies went home - and advised the new owners to get to me as early as possible, to avoid any real need (for a bowel movement at least). You might arrange to do the same, assuming your puppy's breeder doesn't tell you the same.

Take extra bedding with you so if the puppy urinates, you can do a change. However, as long as you choose where you stop, if he's had one set of vaccination, you 'should' be ok to put him on the ground - but he may not empty in an unfamiliar place in any case. Our wee Whippet was 9 weeks when we picked her up - no shots done and she made it home without a need to stop - it was about an hour and a half away. Frankie was 4 months and his trip far longer. He'd had all his shots and we stopped at one of the service areas on the way home. He did nothing. He did urinate in the crate before we got home but that was ok as we had a change of bedding with us.

It's a good idea to bring a new puppy home as early in the day as possible so he has time to explore, before the dreaded 'first night' :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info. Good to know thanks. What can we expect the 1st night. I cant wait to bring him home.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
on shots vs socialization

"The PrimAry And mOST imPOrTAnT time for puppy socialization is the first three months of life.1, 2 During this time puppies should be exposed to as many new people, animals, stimuli and environments as can be achieved safely and without causing overstimulation manifested as excessive fear, withdrawal or avoidance behavior. For this reason, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior believes that it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated. ...Behavioral issues, not infectious diseases, are the number one cause of death for dogs under three years of age. While puppies’ immune systems are still developing during these early months, the combination of maternal immunity, primary vaccination, and appropriate care makes the risk of infection relatively small compared to the chance of death from a behavior problem. "

1 - 5 of 5 Posts