Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while, but now I can join the ranks of the basset moms! We're bringing home a new pup tomorrow - Ernest. I can't wait. We've been bassetless for the last year and our house has been lonely, slobberless, but lonely.

We're driving about 250 miles to pick him up each way. I have a small crate for the car, his leash, new collar with id tag with phone numbers including the breeders, a water bowl, extra towels, paper towels,a blanket, baggies for pit stops, some treats and some stuff to clean the car in case he gets car sick.

His breeder will send him home with water from their kennel and some food.

Is there something that I am missing?

Tomorrow night should be fun, I think and hope. I am probably going to work from home as much as I can the next week - only going in for meetings, so that will make it easier.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

lala

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy! Ernest is a great name. It sounds like you are well prepared. When I brought Sadie & Spencer home, each time, the breeder sent an old towel that had been in bed with the Mama Basset & littermates, thinking the smell might comfort Sadie & Spencer as they made the transition to my home. I got Sadie first, & she slept with that towel for about a week. The first night with me, she whimpered a little for about 20 minutes, then never again. Spencer didn't cry at all. I'm not sure if the towel helped, but it certainly did not hurt! Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
If he starts to drool, it could be because he's getting car sick.
In that case, stop often and try to comfort him - if he gets
bad memories from his first car drive, he may despite driving
for ever....

You must puppy proof your house, just like you would have done
for a toddler. And remember, no walking in stairs for the first year.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice!
Ernest is named after Ernest Shackleton and Henry Hudson. He's Ernest Henry, which I suppose he'll hear when he's in trouble. DP's family names dogs after explorers, so it works for me. He's a basset, he should love to explore.

Breeder is sending a towel and we sent him a blanket too from here for the transition.

House is puppy proofed, all cords are up, covered in that cord covers. House has three new dog/baby gates including one at the bottom of each set of stairs. I cleaned up underneath the kitchen sink (now that was fun, not) and we put those baby latches underneath them. Kitchen pantry floors have anything yummy for bassets moved (unles they really want a nice semillion and have opposable thumbs). All priceless carpets are rolled up for a few more years and all flowers that used to sit on low tables are up high. All low tables (we have very few) are now cleared off.

Ernest will not being using the stairs for a long time. He'll be taking the graceful entrance to the back garden when he needs it, the long way round. Hey, at least I'll get to see what is going on down the driveway.

The couch is our next problem. I don't want him on it so we're going to resort to baskets and dining room chairs which worked well for jacques when he was starting to get old and we didn't want him to jump up on the couch.

Its raining here, I hope he doesn't mind rain.

lala

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
First of all, it's just two decent explorers - Fritjof Nansen and Roald Amundsen. You can call him Fritjof Roald, or Roald Fritjof.
It may cause some giggles when you call him in a crowded area....

It sounds like you have been thinking of everything - but I'm sure he'll
find something you've forgotten :D

Good luck, and post pics ASAP!

Welcome in advance from Emma and Doris!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Great job on your homework! ;) The only other thing I would suggest is to make an appointment with the veterinarian. Some breeders require a check-up by the new owners veterinarian within a very short time frame, like 72 hours. I don't know about your vet but I know my vet probably wouldn't have an appointment available for a week or more for just a well-being check-up. And even if the breeder doesn't require such a visit, do it for your own benefit to access how healthy yur puppy is at this time. Some states I believe have "puppy lemon laws."
Enjoy!!!!! :D

O

·
0 Posts
TOYS!!! dont forget toys to keep your new pup occupied in the car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Barbara Winters
Great job on your homework!  ;)  The only other thing I would suggest is to make an appointment with the veterinarian.  Some breeders require a check-up by the new owners veterinarian  within a very short time frame, like 72 hours.   I don't know about your vet but I know my vet probably wouldn't have an appointment available for a week or more for just a well-being check-up.  And even if the breeder doesn't require such a visit, do it for your own benefit to access how healthy yur puppy is at this time.  Some states I believe have \"puppy lemon laws.\"
Enjoy!!!!!    :D
He's going in tomorrow at 2 for his appointment.

The breeder is well known and has her own lemon law clause. I think he looks more like a lime kind of guy.

He's asleep right now looking quite adorable.

lala

·
Registered
48 Posts
You got Ernest from basset rescue in spokane right? that is where we got maddie and she was in bad shape hopefully Erniest is in better shape, i remember seeing him on the web sight. We live close so maybe sometime we can get toegther for the doggies to have a play date. hee hee. Also on June 17th is basset fun days, to support western Washington basset rescue we are planning to go. And there are monthly basset gatherings go to meet up .com and find bassets and sign up and then they will let you know when the next meet up will be.

How are things going?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We got Ernest from Oxboro in Goldendale.

It was just perfect timing for us and a puppy.

Play date, sure.

I'm in ravenna/bryant. PM me.

I'll be in NYC on June 17th, but maybe TH can take Ernest. I think she'll come home with another one.

lala

1 - 10 of 10 Posts