Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know I am a sucker for senior hounds. I have rescued 2 in the last 3-4 years and kept them until they go to the bridge. It is so rewarding to see them have nice snuggly beds and full bellies. The appriciation they show in their eyes is so rewarding. Well Gardian Angel Basset contacted me. They recently rescued Bridget and she is 10. She wasn't living in the best of circumstances and just "didn't fit in anymore". The rescuer who took the dog from the former owners wasn't sure how mentally stable the pair were. After the hubub of the holidays I am thinking about taking her in. My question is about females. My female Pearly is the Top Dog. She does ok with submissive males but I am not sure how she will do with another female. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know it also depends on Bridget's personality and the foster family will fill me in on that as soon as they have an idea. Thanks for your input.

PS I have loved each Christmas card and all are on a Basset Wall of Honor in my home.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I don't have any advice - sorry. I just wanted to say I think it is great you take the seniors. I regularly visit Guardian Angel's website & have seen Bridget. Poor thing - she looks like she needs some love & a place to lay her tired head. I wish I could adopt another hound or 2, but Spencer is just not very tolerant of other dogs.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
My question is about females. My female Pearly is the Top Dog. She does ok with submissive males but I am not sure how she will do with another female. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know it also depends on Bridget's personality and the foster family will fill me in on that as soon as they have an idea. Thanks for your input.
[/b]
It also depends on Pearly. there is no way of knowing for sure how any two dog will get along. some steps can help.

Have the dogs meet for the first time on neutral territory, one that is not common to either dog. This diminishes any resourse/territorial threats.

If you can this multiple time in different locations so the dog develop a repore/friendship in general meeting when you bring the dog home there is less likely to be any problems. If they don't get along on neutral territory it will only be worse when one is on familiar turf. I think multiple meetings are better than a single one. It helps build famialiarity and also they have more varied interactions so if there is a problem only specific circumstanses it will more likely show up with multiple introductions. Once the dogs show they are compatible in low stress environment you can add stress. Common things that can lead to altercations are, petting patting the other dog, food/feeding the other dog etc. you will want to "proof" for as many of these normal life stressor as you can under controled circumstances before the dog are left to there own in your home.

Introducing Your New Dog To Your Resident Dog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts