Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a female basset hound in July. She is a beautiful pup with nice markings and conformation. She has a great personality too. I have owned 2 bassets many years ago. I have raised several different breeds of pups and bred a few different breeds of dogs. My question is how many people in this forum are pet owners that have bred bassets? Not people who have large kennels and show their dogs but people who do it for fun and to be able to produce some good quality pets?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
I hope I don't open a barrel of worms here, and I'm going to be as polite as possible. Here goes:

Breeding any dog in a responsible manner involves a great deal more than having 'a beautiful pup with nice markings' that will be bred to another pup 'with nice markings'. When you refer to her 'conformation', I can't help but wonder how you've confirmed this. Do you show your pup? How old is she?

I know a number of very responsible basset breeders. They breed carefully, looking to bring out the best of the breed. In every litter, it is hoped there will be lovely show quality pups, and there are always pups that will go to pet homes. Potential owners are carefully screened beyond how much they can pay for a pup. If breeding were left to the truly responsible breeders, there would be far fewer dogs in rescue.

Please read the links provided and think carefully about the consequences the puppies you plan could be heading for.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Aruuuu:
I hope I don't open a barrel of worms here, and I'm going to be as polite as possible.  Here goes:

Breeding any dog in a responsible manner involves a great deal more than having 'a beautiful pup with nice markings' that will be bred to another pup 'with nice markings'.  When you refer to her 'conformation', I can't help but wonder how you've confirmed this.  Do you show your pup?  How old is she?

I know a number of very responsible basset breeders.  They breed carefully, looking to bring out the best of the breed.  In every litter, it is hoped there will be lovely show quality pups, and there are always pups that will go to pet homes.  Potential owners are carefully screened beyond how much they can pay for a pup.  If breeding were left to the truly responsible breeders, there would be far fewer dogs in rescue.

Please read the links provided and think carefully about the consequences the puppies you plan could be heading for.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been doing alot of fishing the last 2 days with all the worms I got. I had already considered most of what Aruuuu had said and the information in the links. I plan on going to an AKC show in November and a basset hound waddle in December. What I see at those 2 events and several other factors will greatly determine if I will breed my dog when she is old enough or not.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Glad to hear this, Wayne. Breeding is definitely an area where we need to educate ourselves before taking that all-important step. It sounds like you're on your way to doing things right :D !

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We went to the AKC dog show in Hilton Head, South Carolina and there wasn't a single basset hound there. Is this typical of AKC shows? Not many people show basset hounds in AKC shows?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Basset presence has been down at shows around here lately, too. There are some younger pups coming up, though, so hopefully we'll see a bit of an increase soon. Otherwise, putting a major on a dog will be impossible.

Are there any good breeders in your area you could contact? Maybe they could steer you toward some shows. If you don't know of any breeders, check the Basset Hound Club of America's web site. They have a listing of breeders. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
A week or so ahead of time, you can check the number of basset entries in an upcoming show by visiting the superintendent's website and looking at the judging program. In addition to the number of bassets entered, it should tell you the time and ring number for basset judging. That should help you decide whether it'll be a worthwhile trip. :)

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
If you want to plan ahead, you may want to consider Find-a-Major report from the AKC. The Cost is 2.00 per state you must be registered with the AKC online Store.

This report is used to approximate whether a show will be a major. A major is defined as a show that is worth at least three points for the breed that you select. It bases this determination on the entries for a show over the last three years. All shows within your selected state(s) that were majors during this period will be listed. This does not guarantee that the upcoming show will be a major.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts