Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of any successful way to "trigger" a dog's heat cycle?

Here's my problem, my girls only come in once a year. It's always at a bad time, late August, early Sept. Pups are born in November at the start of Wisconsin winter. Pups aren't ready to go untill Jan. or Feb. worst months here.

any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm guessing you haven't raised a litter before and if she is coming in season once a year that is not a normal cycle,not to say she couldn't concive. Most have a regular cycle of every 5-6 months,twice a year.So there would be a winter but also a spring heat. Is it possible she comes in heat but you don't notice any blood so you think she isn't?Some bitches keep themselves very clean. To tell the truth,I have heard if you want to bring a bitch in season you need to have her around a bitch already in season.I don't know if that really works. If you haven't raised a litter before be sure you take all things into consideration before doing it .Like can you afford a c-section if needed(not my business, just saying)or even possibly losing your dog while trying to have the puppies because you won't know when she is in trouble?Even losing puppies.Are you prepared to have the puppies till they are at least 8 weeks old? Can you afford to feed possibly 7-10 hungry pups for that long?Again just saying. Do you have potential homes ahead of time?Are you prepared to keep possibly 5 pups longer than 8 weeks because they don't have homes yet?Are you prepared to interview every person who wants to buy a puppy and turn down those who you think should not have one?Are you going to tell your puppy buyers that if for any reason they can not keep or no longer want the puppy ,at any age,it should come back to you? If you say 'No" to any one of these questions,please don't breed your dog.

·
Registered
972 Posts
good points bubbad. You want to treat the animals the best you can, and you want to provide good healthy pups to those who may want them.
Also, I think it's weird she's not in heat as she should be. Vet can do an ultrasound on her...or like bubbad said, maybe you're just not noticing.
Also she just may be sensitive to her environment. Any kind of extra activity or stresses that happen around the second time she should be in heat?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I don't believe in messing the their natural cycles. I just deal with the timing and work around it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay I'll respond to bubbad

Yes, I've had litters before and I know well what it takes.
all the things you are saying are the same I tell others except that no pup leaves here till it's 12 weeks old, I guarantee my pups for everything, even not matching thier new dress. I never want any of my kids to end up at the pound.

That all said, back to the point. My girls only come in once a year, they are vet. checked regularly. This is normal for some dogs, and is related to thier ancestors the wolf, which only pup in the spring. And I've had multible females here for years, and when the alpha female comes in, the rest follow.(I only raise a litter now every 2 or 3 years)

Back to my question; has anyone heard or used a method? or shot from the Vet. ? to "trigger" a heat cycle. I've heard of this(and from a vet) and looking for some actual experinced opions and results.

please don't read anything into this question, other than the question itself. I read this forum often but post little.

thanks for your time

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
All I've heard of is using Cheque drops to suppress the heat until you want her to have it. However, this is a steroid, apparently also used by bodybuilders, and I don't believe it is good for the long-term health of the bitch. It's just not that important to me to have puppies at a "convenient" time.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
It is technically possible in human beings, using a process called Ovulation Induction. Typically used for women who are not ovulating or ovulating infrequently, as part of Fertility Treatments. Because there is some overlap between human and animal medicine, it might be worth asking a vet about this. I would esp seek out a Veterinarian who specializes in fertility issues (or at an academic center who is in this sub-field). They might be able to tell you what's available, if at all.

Anyways, here's some info re: how it works in people:

Ovulation induction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts