Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my husband and I decided to breed our basset hound. He is AKC registered and is current on all of his shots. In my opinion he is a handsome dog. ( we may be partial....ha ha)

We just recently relocated to Manchester, NH. Does anyone know what is the best way to breed him, or even get started?

Your reply will be greatly appreciated :p

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Your best bet is to start showing him. That way he will be seen by breeders and if they like what they see they will be interested in using him. While you're at it, get some health tests done, like hip & elbow certification, CERF eye exam and goniscopy eye exam, blood tests for von willebrands and thrombopathia. The more of these he passes, the more likely a bitch owner would be interested in him. At the shows you can learn about what is desireable and not desireable in a basset hound, and about bloodlines, and network with breeders. They will not be interested in breeding to an untested dog that they never heard of from unknown lines.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
What Soundtrack says is true. The AKC is a registering body only they do not see any of the dogs they register. The only criteria is that my dog comes from a known sire and a known dam. There are standards written by Dog breed clubs(like the Basset Hound Club of America)that tells what a well structured basset is suppose to come close to looking like,check this out, then you can see if your guy comes up to standard.

A

·
0 Posts
I'm almost in your backyard. I'm in Derry. If you'd like to get some information about the Pilgrim Basset Hound Club, let me know. If you are serious about breeding it's a good place to start. It's good to talk to some experienced people before breeding. Also, there are quite a few Basset events in the area between Pilgrim and the two New England based rescues that you might be interested in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank all of you for your responses. They helped me get on the right track! Hope you all had a great holiday and happy New Year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts