Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying to breed our bassets and our female won't let our male breed her. we've tried to help them but it hasn't worked. does anyone have some helpful advice? thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Gary.I'm sort of having the same problem but my male hasn't even met his date.So i hope that everything turnes out fine for your female!!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think if you both read all the old posts in the breeding section, most stuff is covered. Things like all the medical tests both a female and male need to insure health. How far back gereration wise you need to know health records. If your basset is ready for breeding, how many shows won, tracking, hunting, you know the events your dog shines in. And info about mentors, so you don't unknowingly get in over your head. I think you might have to read back pretty far to find it all, there's a lot of exspence and time breeders put in befor they start.
Joan

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just want to say that I'm not a breeder and I'm not a member of the bassethound club of my country,so I just kind of need to know more about the breeding prosess.Thank you :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Friends of mine who were basset breeders for many years were well known for their "expertise" in getting a male and bitch to successfuly complete the breeding process. My understanding is that it was a knack they acqured over the years based on their knowledge and understanding of the breed.

I think it's beyond the scope of this forum to explain to someone how to breed their dog and suggest contacting other breeders in your area and your veterinarian for advise. But then again I'm not a breeder so maybe one of the breeders who actively post on this forum will have words of wisdom.

I hear about bassets being difficult to breed but at times it seems they're not difficult enough. :(

[ May 07, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
The last breeding I did I just gave up and did an AI, but if you aren't experienced you'll need a vet to do it for you. Doing it wrong can result in injury or infection.

They ARE difficult to breed, I seem to get a miss more often than not. After experiencing pyo I'm anxiously watching for that post breeding, too. C sections are not uncommon, neither is uterine inertia. And then there's the constant 24-7 supervision for the first three weeks after the pups are born to make sure she doesn't lay on them.
Sleep is for wimps.....

I agree with Barbara, they are not difficult enough.....

[ May 09, 2004, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts