Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got my hound from a well known breeder. I'm checking into showing him and breeding him twice. He's very young still. Only 2 months old but I'd like some information on both topics. He has 10 generations of champions. His parents are both champions. would he be worth showing and breeding? Also anyone that can give me some tips on training him any information would help. I am new to dog training, showing and breeding. Thanks

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The best person to ask is the breeder. Most breeders who sell a dog for showing and breeding to a novice often do so on a co-ownership and act as mentors to the "newbie." Although I've owned bassets for over 30 years it wasn't until I bought a dog from someone who "bred to improve the breed" that I learned the history, the health issues, how to train for show, how to grind toe nails with a dremel, and so on and so on. Eighteen years later she is no longer breeding bassets but has become a very good friend-and I'm still learning from her.

I'm sure the breeder will want to evaluate your pup as he get older and you prepare to show him, to determine if indeed he is "show-quality." A lot of changes take place between 8 weeks and 6 months. It can be a rather agonizing time if you have your heart set on a "show dog." No matter how he turns out conformation wise I'm sure he will be the love of your life. Many show dogs are house dogs and pets.

As far as breeding him, you probably want to get his Championship first and then see if anyone is interested. Again I'm sure his breeder can advise you on his prospects as a stud dog.

I'd take him to puppy class as soon as your vet gives the ok. Enjoy-an 8 week old pup is a lot of work but oh so much fun. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Definitely ask the breeder, they know their lines and how their pups are likely to develop, they are also familiar with the competition in the area. If your pup is nice enough to show, most show breeders would be delighted to help you out with this as they would like to see quality dogs from their kennel winning in the ring.

[ February 12, 2005, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's awesome that you're looking into it so early! Talk to your breeder or go to some shows and get with the people you see there. Someone will most definitely take you under their wing. You can also contact a breed club in your area. Hard telling right now if your guy is going to be showable but you can start training him for it...why not? Get him into puppy obedience (usually around 4 months) and go from there!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Almost four years ago, I brought Charlie home as a pet. Within two weeks, his breeder asked if we would let her show him as she thought he could get his championship. So started my journey into the world of showing a dog. Did I have a lot to learn? Absolutely! But I've been very lucky to have a wonderful mentor in Charlie's breeder (who Barb Winters helped me find, by the way), who I now consider to be a dear friend. She's patient and kind and more than willing to guide me through the process. I have lots to learn, and am enjoying this journey immensely. Charlie finished his championship last Spring, with me on the other end of the leash! Now, I'm looking for another basset, a show dog, and hopefully will get one some time this summer. As Barb said, your pup will change a good deal between now and six months, which is why I'm going to wait awhile to get my show prospect. I won't bring my next dog home until she's six months, give her a chance to grow up and develop a bit.

Your puppy's breeder should be willing to help you. Good luck in your new venture, but be warned -- it can be addictive ;) !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts