Basset Hounds Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,570 Posts
If they are to be registered with the AKC there are restrictions of age of breeding in males at least. 12 being the limit older(unless frozen sperm is involved) and I believe 7 months of young dogs.
c-sections are very expensive and if the dogs are not good quality shouldn't be bred at all.

· Registered
2,762 Posts
Well since this ancient thread is already up here, I have a question I've been wondering about regarding breeding age. Is there an approximate age at which a male should be retired from being used for breeding? If, for example, a 10 or 11-year-old male sired a litter, would there be some kind of increased risk of health issues/defects with the puppies, or no?
In the UK there used to be an 11 year old top age limit for males. I'm not sure whether that still stands, but to be honest, although the spirit may be willing, physically the old boy may not be as capable as he once might have been - with the knowledge that very few males manage to do any of this 'unaided' in any case :p I'd suggest that once an old boy reaches that stage of his life, it's not really necessary. He surely has a son or two, or a grandson even, to take over his duties!! And for sure, his sperm may not be as viable as it once was.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.