Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
621 Posts
I agree with Betsy on waiting until the bitch is mature. At 18 months they're still "teenagers" physically and mentally. Of course it varies with each bitch but I think waiting until 2 years is a good idea.

I'd like to see a male pass genetic screenings for at least bleeding disorders, glaucoma, thyroid, and preferably hip and elbow.Also I think the male should have proven himself in the breed ring or in performance events, including field trials. And some health problems thought to have a genetic component don't appear until the dog is more mature. You might like what you see conformation wise at 6 months but at 12 months the dog could be knuckled over, over standard in size or have other serious faults.

My breeder friends all report that their bassets needed help with mating. I had a male that wasn't used until he was 3 and he had no problem with wanting or knowing what to do but his breeders assisted, with the wife holding the female and the husband supporting Toby.

I recall we had this discussion previously and some even used "breeding racks." Toby's breeders were often called upon by others to help accomplish the breeding.

I'm sure the experienced breeders on this list will have some helpful advice.

· Registered
621 Posts
Yes, you would be putting your bitch in danger. I know of bitches who have died of infection, uterine torsion and bleeding. Maybe you should think about this a bit before just sticking two dogs together.

I notice you're in high school so do you really have time to be a "breeder"?

[ August 08, 2005, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.