Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a basset hound breeder in North Carolina or there abouts. I am looking into getting a basset in the fall and I have been unable to locate any breeders that appear responsible.

I've checked petfinder, AKC, and the links off of petsmart. The closest breeder I've found that appears responsible is Roy's bassets in AL. I'm really hoping to find a breeder within 200 miles or so.

Thanks for your help and this forum is great...I love reading about everyone's furbabies :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have just read the Roy's Bassets website, and there is no information on any eye testing on the bassets he uses for breeding. If you are getting a basset from a breeder it is incredibly important that they do this. There are far too many bassets going blind from glaucoma, because their breeders were too ignorant and/or cheap to do the testing.

There are also a number of other questionable things on his website, i.e. not requiring spay or neutering of his puppies. Personally, I would really avoid this guy.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Biscuit's right. Stay away from Roy's. The above list contains names and phone/email of very good, experienced basset people.

M

·
0 Posts
I found Rusty & Stickers through the Basset Hound Club of America list. I called EVERYONE in Florida on the list. I got to speak to everyone except a few. Even if they didn't have dogs available I picked their brain on who they would deal with, etc. Most of these people know each other and a great deal can be learned from others in the BHCOA. I spent over a week on the phone talking to people all over the state and in my home state of PA. Through all the research and calling I found a wonderful breeder who had exceptional dogs. Take your time, ask questions and listen to who people are saying you should stay away from. Good Luck!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I drove a little over 400 miles to get Venus from a reputable breeder. This is a small price to pay for a well bred basset that will love you for the next 10 years.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
BHCA members give permission for their names and personal information to be listed on the BHCA website, however they haven't given us permission to include their names/data on Cyberhound. I've edited Amy's post to show the link to the BHCA members from NC. Thanks to Amy for the information.

[ March 03, 2006, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

O

·
0 Posts
Sorry about that Barbara, thanks for fixing it. I haven't quite figured out how to do the link thing yet.

PS. I got Murphy, pics coming soon.. Having camera issues today.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got a reply to my email to Roy asking about the eye testing and from his response, he is marked off my list.

Thanks y'all for letting me know about Roy. Mgbrown, if I need to drive 800 miles to get a healthy basset from a loving breeder then that is what I will do. I just want to make sure that before I drive that far that I am not overlooking a wonderful breeder here in NC.

Thank you all...if anyone has any more recommendations, please post them.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
There is a checklist somewhere on this site of what to look for in a breeder.

One important thing to remember is that glaucoma isn't the only genetic disorder which can crop up in bassets. There are also some serious bleeding disorders, as well as other problems.

In addition, I've heard of countless cases of people getting puppies from less than reputable breeders, and the puppies come to them already quite ill. The pups haven't received any kind of medical care whatsoever. I've seen on this board more than a few people go through the heartbreak of losing a young pup, and all because of poor healthcare before they even brought the pup home.

Plus, there are socialization issues to consider. There was a great thread in the breeders' forum about this --- can't remember the specifics, but basically, more and more they're finding pups need to be socialized to humans from a much younger age.

And many of the best breeders hang onto their pups til 10 weeks.

The point is, take your time, ask a lot of questions and get informed now. That way, you can save yourself some immense heartbreak, while supporting a truly great breeder.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ruth Paule is one that i know and would go to for a dog if i was you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts