Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone more knowledgeable than I please explain to me how the Basset's front legs should look, based on the breed standard? I've read it a hundred times and still cannot quite understand the terms. :(

Paige's front legs turn slightly outward at the knees (are they called knees?). Is this normal? Standard? Disqualification? :D

A

·
0 Posts
AKC Standards for the Basset Hound
Let's see if this link works. It should explain how those goofy front legs should look. Ben has one that turns out quite a bit. Lucy's are straight forward so far. Maybe you could go to a dog show and see up close and in person how the legs should be. Good luck, Martha

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It's not easy.....Go to some dog shows, find a mentor and start doing some reading, especially if you have visions of ever being a breeder of quality, healthy bassets that conform to the standard.

The Basset Hound Club of America has for sale:
The Illustrated Standard

The New Complete Basset Hound by Mercedes Braun (1979) is available on Ebay

And a list of books on our very own Cyberhound:Basset Hound Books

[ February 21, 2005, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
BHCA offers a booklet called The Illustrated Standard. Line drawings illustrate correct and faulty structure for each part of the standard. I think it's very useful publication.

If you can, try to attend a dog show where a breed seminar on judging the Basset Hound is offered. I've attended a couple of these seminars, and they're excellent, with lots of illustrative photographs. Although these seminars are intended primarily for people who will be judging Bassets at dog shows, they're an excellent educational resource for anyone interested in the breed.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You can search for events at Event and Awards Search

Keep in mind that if you have to travel a couple of hours to get to a show or other event, that is considered close. Right, Betsy, Mike, Dean, Billy, Belinda, Miriam, etc ????

[ February 22, 2005, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
773 Posts
Right, Barb, unless you luck out and live two minutes up the road from the Best Western ;) !

·
Registered
939 Posts
yeah the nearest field trial grounds that we use for the Basset trials are 45 minutes from my house.the Nationals that were out west this past year,if we had gone was about a 3 DAY drive.if time and money allow me,Californa,Washington,Oregon.that is as far as i'll go!!! but for the most part about 3 hours is a Average drive for me.the part i like is going to different places any way,like i said if i have the time to take off from work and the money to go,i'll drive about 12-14 hrs to make a hunt or trial.the part that stinks is driving back after you have been in the field since like 8AM and if you are judging you do not get a break until lunch or you call field trial!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I've clicked on that link, and I've found events closer than I expected, around an hour or so. My next question is this: Do I try to enter Paige? Or do I go and see what it's all about first? And, if I'm to enter her, how do I do that? SOrry for my ignorance, but I"m so new to all of this!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
My suggestion would be to first have her evaluated by an experienced basset exhibitor, to see whether she's good enough to be shown. No point in showing (a waste of money) or breeding (a disservice to the breed) this one if she's simply pet quality; there is a surplus of pet quality bassets filling up shelters and rescues already.

You might be able to find an experienced basset exhibitor by contacting one or more of the sponsoring kennel clubs and asking them if they have any basset breeders who are club members, that they could refer you to. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
OH and one more thing.if you do decide to get involved with shows or field work or any activity with these dogs.(now you love your dogs and think they are the best and that is just great,keep thinking that and treat them that way.)you have to ask yourself this question, Can i lose and be humble doing it? if you show a dog you will have a Judge look at your dog that is compared to a written standard.if your dog does not meet the standard,it does not imply that your dog is NO GOOD,just that it does not meet the standard.on the field trial circuit( i field trial beagles and bassets and have judged both) there is very little room for error,it is simple to order up a dog that is not running,but that is rare occurrence.you have sometimes between 10 to maybe 50 dogs ( or more ) to judge.now if they all run a rabbit you have your work cut out for you.you have to keep in mind that you are here to better the breed by picking the one the runs within a written standard on what to look for when they run the game,and no matter what goes on there is usually only one person that is happy at the end of the day,the one with the blue ribbon!!! i think that everytime that i have judged a trial i was fair and did the best i could to pick a dog that was the best that day.i have judged,handled dogs so i have been on both ends and at first it was a bitter pill to swallow when i was not picked for second series,i didn't know what the judges were looking at,than i got more involved and started wacthing what they were looking at asked questions in a respectful manner after the trial,got honest with my dogs performance and started to see mistakes that they made for myself.than i was able to say my dog really sucked today!!!! keep this one last thought in mind,Dean gave me these words of Wisdom regarding Judges... the Judge is entitled to his own stupid opinion!!!!! i'm positive i can live up to that!!!!!

[ February 22, 2005, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: pinehawk ]

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
I think you need to ask yourself truthfully, Why do I want to show Paige? If it is simply you want the experience in the ring then the quality of the dog matters little. As a matter of fact knowing straight out that you don't have a chance of winning can actual take a little stress and help over come jitters. For many practice is escential and nothing prepares you like the real thing. A tad expensive but not necessary a waste of money.

Many AKC sanctioned breed, all breed and obedience clubs run classes on showmanship, how to stack the dog, how to stride with the dog to present the propper gate etc. One does not need to have a show quality dog to participate. It can only help your performance in the ring and give you a bit more confidence.

Check out Mountineer Kennel Club

[ February 22, 2005, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Toughynutter ]

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had no idea that Morgantown had their own Kennel Club. That's about 15 minutes from me. Thanks! I"m going to check into that today.

Honestly, I don't think Paige would win a show. I don't know why I say that, but my expectations are just not that high. I've read a bazillion things about the standard, and I don't see any serious faults with her - but that's my naked, untrained eye, so.... I would like to show her for the sheer fun of it! Just to say I did it, even once, would be fun. And also, I would like to see what the trained person has to say about her. Just curious...

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Hey if you want to enter a dog show for the sheer fun of it- go for it. I personally hate going into the ring with an untrained dog. For one thing I'm not a very good handler but did ok with my Toby because he was well trained and would do everything I asked.

Most people attend handling class, go to matches and have some idea if their dog has any show potential before they enter a show. I think entering without any preparation would be kind of putting the cart before the horse.

You may get disqualified or the judge can withhold a ribbon for lack of merit. Most judges are nice, but not all. If you have your heart set on entering choose a basset hound breeder.

You may find out that Paige doesn't have what it takes to be a "show-dog" or isn't breeding material. But then I'm sure you'd want to know this before breeding her so maybe it will be money well spent. But personally I'd have her evaluated like Betsy mentions.

[ February 23, 2005, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did check around online today and found a conformation class in my area. Unfortunately, this class is already in season. But the good news is that another one is starting around spring-time. I'll probably take Paige to that class and get some pre-ring training, again - just for fun. I'm not sure how Basset-experted they are at this particular Kennel Club, so we'll see.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
At the bottom of this page is a contact for breeder referral for the Mountaineer Kennel Club. If you contact the breeder referral coordinator, she should be able to put you in contact with a reputable basset breeder. Alternatively, you can search for BHCA members in West Virginia here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts